Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 12:49 PM

Default 5-5 NL at Foxwoods - very deepstacks

I was up at Foxwoods for the weekend and decided to try out the 5-5NL game there.
I bought in for the minimun ($500) and ran it up to $1K when this hand came up. With $1K I was still the shortstack at the table. Stack sizes ranged from $1K to $12K.

No real read on Villian in this hand as he just sat down. I did see him show down T7o in a recent hand. So basically he could be playing any 2. But with stacks this deep, that is to be expected anyway I guess.

I pick up TdTc in MP and limp. 3 other limpers.

Flop ($30) - Th 7d 5c

Checked to me, I bet $30, Villain on my immediately left calls, everyone folds.

Turn 4d - I bet $70, Villain raises to $900.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: 5-5 NL at Foxwoods - very deepstacks

This is not even questionable. You are short stcacked and they're probably very aware of that, and they probably took your min buyin as fear, so they're gonna be trying to push you around. You have to call. If he has a straight, so be it.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:57 PM

Raise Preflop(TT is def a raising hand in that game).
Insta call.
If he shows u the straight,laugh and say nh.
Is this a serious post? or am i being taken?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:10 PM

Even questioning a call here means that you're probably playing too high above your limit/bankroll. When you get in for the minimum, people are going to assume that you are wary of losing it and will try to bully. If he turns over the straight, at least you got the river to try and fill up.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even questioning a call here means that you're probably playing too high above your limit/bankroll. When you get in for the minimum, people are going to assume that you are wary of losing it and will try to bully. If he turns over the straight, at least you got the river to try and fill up.

[/ QUOTE ]

To correct you -

1) I posted this hand because I am questioning how I played the hand as a whole (i.e. not raising preflop) and to get the thought process of other posters when deciding how to play this hand in this game.

2) I am also questioning a call here because Villain has bet $900 into a $160 pot.

3) If you re-read my post you will notice that Villian has no idea how much I bought in for as he just recently sat down. All he knows is that I have $1K in front of me. For all he knows I bought in for $3K and have lost $2K.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:01 PM

The following advice is based on what i have seen about the avg play at the FW game, and only the FW game.
1)Raise pf.
2)The reason he fired that bet into you on the turn is because of limp preflop, the villain is not putting you on TT here at all..almost always he is doing this with nothing and trying to take it away.
I would raise preflop..overbet flop, either pot/cr all in on turn.
With 1k here its a nobrainer about getting ur stack in here.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2)The reason he fired that bet into you on the turn is because of limp preflop, the villain is not putting you on TT here at all..almost always he is doing this with nothing and trying to take it away.

[/ QUOTE ]

TBG, I can't really believe you're saying this. At the Foxwoods game I almost never see significant money being put in without somebody having a monster and the average player is not bullying shortstacks-he's too busy nut-peddling to worry about players with only 1K in front of them.

When I read this post, I thought there's almost no hand this villain, if he's an average 5-5 NL player at Foxwoods, has anything other than the straight. I would fold here, but then again I would not put myself in hero's position (raise preflop, have more $ in front of me, etc.)

Edit: Just saw the results after I posted...I think everybody who advocated an "easy call" just isn't familiar enough with the Foxwoods game-it's not a bunch of terrible lags waiting to pound away at shortstacks. For the most part people are just playing their cards and not thinking too much about the way their opponents will respond to their bets. A HUGE overbet normally means the nuts (thabadguy is hardly the typical Foxwoods player)
Old 08-01-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When I read this post, I thought there's almost no hand this villain, if he's an average 5-5 NL player at Foxwoods, has anything other than the straight. I would fold here, but then again I would not put myself in hero's position (raise preflop, have more $ in front of me, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

i completely agree with this. i rarely see random laggy behavior and i realllllly never see an all in massive overbet without the nuts. you have to raise preflop and whatever everyone else said, but in this situation you are beat.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:16 PM

to the OP:

dude, you had the 3rd nuts and he turned over the nuts... it happens... so rebuy and get back in there.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:58 PM

I'm thinking that Villain has put you on the flush draw and is betting $900 to destroy your odds and get you to lay down.