Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 10:45 PM

Default What do you guys think of Turbo Texas Holdem?

Hey guys,

Thanks to all the helpful contributions in my other thread I've gained a grasp on this game is am playing pretty good on the play money tables. However that isn't saying much because everyone there is a maniac and it's easy to beat them if I play tight and wait for a good hand. I don't feel like I'm learning much if anything playing these maniacs because the books I am reading for the most part assume I am playing other somewwat competent low limit players, not these free money gamblers.

My goal is to be competitive in the 2/4 games and up as soon as possible and I don't think that will happen any time with play money and probably also the microlimits. I have the bankroll to play the 2/4 limits but not the knowledge and experience, so I was thinking of buying Turbo Texas Holdem. A few people here recommend it here but I haven't read much about the program, does it imitate low limit players pretty well? And does the program give good advice for improving your game? Advice appreciated, thanks.

og5
Old 02-04-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: What do you guys think of Turbo Texas Holdem?

Personally I like Poker Academy much better. The players are better, graphics are much better, you can play no-limit, tournament, heads-up, etc...
Old 02-10-2005, 03:00 AM

I used Wilson's TTH to get a basic grasp on the game and on the value of starting hands, but you may be getting the same thing on play money tables. FWIW, I would start at the micro limits, until you have the bankroll to play .50/1. I just think that having some money on the line - however little - is going to reveal your playing style and your leaks, and give you a better idea of the areas of the game you should be working on. The limit game is all about discipline for the beginner, and I am not confident that TTH or the play money tables are good for develpping discipline. After all, it's easy on a simulator to keep making the right decisions even though they are costing you $$ in the short run. Quite another to be down $100 real dollars and keep making the right decisions!

Anyway, around here the consensus is .50/1 is the threshhold for finding some good players, but still has enough bad players to be profitable even for a beginner. So even if you decide to keep playing fake poker, I would start at .50/1 rather than 2/4 when you think you are ready for the real McCoy.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2005, 12:01 AM

TTH enables you to play MANY hands very quickly. You can easily do a couple of hundred hands an hour, maybe more.

In some ways, however, the software is very predictible, which is a problem. I find the advisor to be nearly useless once you begin to learn the game.

However, this being said, I hear a major new release is planned soon.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:00 PM

I would add my recommendation for Poker Academy.
You can calibrate it to have your opponents adopt whatever strategies you want them to, i.e. loose, tight or anything in between.
Lots of horsepower in this program, with constant updates and good support. And as earlier poster said, you can really rack up the number of hands and get tons 'o experience.
Cheers,
Uncle
Old 02-11-2005, 08:43 PM

I too think you're better off depositing the money and playing at the microlimits. You can start at .01/.02 and have a huge bankroll with the money you'll spend on that program.

For me at least, poker programs tend to teach you how to beat the program, not the game itself. Kind of like learning how to take a multiple choice test instead of learning the material. I do conceed that I don't have a lot of experience with many programs though. Open an account at Pacific, wait a week or so and they will put 10 or 20 in your account (usually) and you can start there for free.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:48 PM

i dont see that promotion at pacfic?

plus dont you have to play higher limit, to qualify for the rake hands to get the bonus
Old 02-11-2005, 09:14 PM

It's not anything they advertise, but many, many people (including me) opened accounts there and if you don't deposit any money for a week (roughly) they make a free $10 or $20 deposit into your account to get you going. I don't think there are any hands to play to clear it. I played quite a while there in the begining, but never higher than .25/.50 I don't think, and I eventually cashed out my $60 to go to Party. It's worth a try in any case...