Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 04:43 AM

Default I need you all.

I took a hit of 67.5BBs today in 1315 hands. I haven't seen a day like this in 6-7 months. It was a day from hell. I lost in every horrible way a player can lose. Though I don't remember any 1 outers. I'm just not sure how to deal with it. Any words of encouragement out there? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2004, 04:51 AM

Default Re: I need you all.

1. You are lucky to have not had a worse session in 6 months. I've had at least 3 downswings that bad in the last 3 months.

2. It'll take you 3 or 4 sessions on average to recover. No big deal. Just keep playing.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:52 AM

Default See my response in -- When your getting owned

'
Old 12-02-2004, 05:24 AM

If you have pokertracker go to the misc stats tab and look at the bottom at how much you've won this year.

If you don't, look at your neteller summary and calculate how much you've made this year.

Based on your posts here I'm sure you're a winning player. You'll recover. Imagine how much more you would have lost if you had played were looser.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:33 AM

Group hug for Deacsoft. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've only started playing online for a month on a serious note, but here's what I find helps.

First off, because I 4 table, I actually convert the stakes double what they are. For example, if I play 5-10, 4 tables, then I will actually treat it like I am playing 10-20 instead.

Now because I am mentally set at playing 10-20, I figure I should have a bankroll at 10-20. So I have 600 BB, instead of 300 BB bankroll. The extra 300 BB is a good "physchological bankroll" type thingamagid for me.

This way I don't feel the swings are so extreme and do not hurt me as much on mental level. So a 70 BB downswing feels more like a 35 BB downswing.

I know, this may sound dumb but it works for me and it doesn't shatter my confidence as much.

Lawrence
Old 12-02-2004, 08:05 AM

You're a stud. Get back on the horse. Your game is better than theirs.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:10 AM

Give your computer a hug. It's still your friend.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:16 AM

I had an almost identical session 2 days ago in the midst of a -125 BB downswing. I try to look at as giving a high-interest, short-term loan. Also, if you're emotionally beat up over the loss, I'd recommend that the next session you play, quit a winner. Don't make a habit of it, but it's a nice way to turn around a negative frame of mind going into future sessions.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:22 AM

I really like this idea, particularly for those who depend on their poker earnings at all. If you apply this idea when you move up to a new limit, it also gives you the opportunity to give yourself a real chance to succeed, rather than be forced to move down due to one horrible, crippling streak.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:46 PM

I four table 3-6 right now, and maybe I'll give that a try. To all of you, Thanks. I took that pretty hard yesterday for a little while. Then I started to look at it in this way, there's no [censored] way that today can be worse that yesterday.

I smell comeback. Do you smell that?

Thanks again everyone. It helped. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll post how I do today this evening.

Cheers,

deacsoft