Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 05:15 PM

Default \"Because its Party 15/30\"

I have seen alot of posts where the posters use this line or similar to justify making a sub-optimal play. How can this be right? Is this the type of thinking that has given some people the impression that the game has gotten tougher? IMO these thoughts and action have to be costing some players bets.

So before you start berating me, let me say I am not trying to say anything other than open this topic for discussion. Personally I have only been playing the Party 15 for 2 months and have found the game different than I expected when I would read this board in preparation to make the jump.

I expected alot more aggression and alot more mediocre/crap hands shown down. What I have found is the game is really just another poker game. There are LAG & TAGS and Fishies and tighties and some maniacs thrown in to make it interesting.

When a new player comes in and puts in a raise UTG, I am going to give him credit for a decent holding till proven otherwise. What i am not going to do is go to battle with him just because this is the Party 15 and he could be a donk.

Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: \"Because its Party 15/30\"

I'll respond first, because I think the post was the direct result of my statement that I would call or re-raise with AJs from the button 100% of the time if there was an UTG raise, since we were talking about PP 15-30. I stand by this statement.

Why do I say this? Simple. PP 15-30 is very loose aggressive. Not only is the calibre of play (on a whole) highly suspect, but even tight players will (and rightly so) loosen up there pre-flop raising requirements so that AJs in this position is now profitable.

Furthermore, I know that I play better post-flop than 99.9% of the PP 15-30 players, so that I can more than compensate for what might otherwise be a slightly -ev situation from just a "mathematical" sense.

TSP
Old 04-28-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Furthermore, I know that I play better post-flop than 99.9% of the PP 15-30 players, so that I can more than compensate for what might otherwise be a slightly -ev situation from just a "mathematical" sense.

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to be a dickhead...but cmon TSP. You've said it yourself, you can't beat the 15/30 on party. How then, could this be true?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to be a dickhead...but cmon TSP. You've said it yourself, you can't beat the 15/30 on party. How then, could this be true?

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto... i don't know a lot about your play, but there's some DAMN good players on party, and even a lot of the LAGs don't play that bad postflop. If you really are in the top .1% postflop, then with even decent hand selection, you'd be DESTROYING the game.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:14 PM

"Furthermore, I know that I play better post-flop than 99.9% of the PP 15-30 players, so that I can more than compensate for what might otherwise be a slightly -ev situation from just a "mathematical" sense."

Wanna bet??
Old 04-28-2005, 06:26 PM

Teh craziness of the PP 15 is overstated on this board. When I started playing the 15/30 I was calling down too much becasue I always assumed every unknown was a nut. While the game is above avergae aggression, I find it to be moreso in the random turn raises with nothing. AJs on the button HU vs an unknown UTG raiser in the PP 15/30 is nto a great place to be - put some callers in between and you are ok.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:22 PM

I have been contemplating this post for a few days, but yes your AJ post triggered it. That being said, the post is not directed at you or a criticism of anyones play imparticular, just something I have noticed and have been pondering.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Teh craziness of the PP 15 is overstated on this board. When I started playing the 15/30 I was calling down too much becasue I always assumed every unknown was a nut. While the game is above avergae aggression, I find it to be moreso in the random turn raises with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my point, and stated better too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're either a liar or a nutcase.

[ QUOTE ]
even tight players will (and rightly so) loosen up there pre-flop raising requirements so that AJs in this position is now profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf are your raising standards such that you're unhappy to be 3bet by AJs?
Old 04-29-2005, 11:14 AM

I think what makes it challenging is the range of skill levels you will encounter. Sometimes you'll go head to head with very good, aggressive poker players. Othertimes you see a guy stay in till the river for a gutshot straight. That IMO, is what makes it most difficult and player reads/notes crucial for success.