Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Putting bad players on hands/River action/Bad Beat Story

MP3 is reasonable solid player, HJ is donk fish 44/10/1. I Am in CO with AA.

MP3 open, HJ calls, I 3-bet. 3 of as to a AK rainbow flop. Bet, call. I raise, MP3 3-bets, HJ and I Call.
Turn 9, putting 2 clubs on the board. Bet, call, I raise, MP# 3-bets, HJ calls 2, I cap both call.

River off suit J. MP3 check, HJ wakes up and bets, I raise 100% sure I am beat, fold, 3-bet, I cap 120% sure I am beat.

Now put in more bets becasue my mind is telling me that even super fish could not have called 4 bets on the turn with Q10. Then after i cap I figure I guess he could have Q10 clubs. But he didnt have Q10 clubs, but I still lost.

Is putting these bets in on the river stupid? or am I just telling a bad beat story becasue I am fuming over losing $8.3k in pots over 200 hands all on gut shot rivers? (which if they were the only gut shot possibilities I was facing would be about a 1-2.5 million shot).
Old 10-28-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Putting bad players on hands/River action/Bad Beat Story

i hate to tell you this, but this is pretty standard. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 02:01 PM

Hi DpR,

Yes, it looks like the cap on the river is unnecessary. LAGs will normally pump their draws, but this is showdown. For HJ to 3-bet you on the river, it sures looks like he hit his longshot. I would have just called one bet on the river.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise 100% sure I am beat ... I cap 120% sure I am beat

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Is putting these bets in on the river stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[ QUOTE ]
am I just telling a bad beat story

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[ QUOTE ]
I am fuming over losing $8.3k in pots over 200 hands all on gut shot rivers

[/ QUOTE ]

No one cares.

[ QUOTE ]
which if they were the only gut shot possibilities I was facing would be about a 1-2.5 million shot

[/ QUOTE ]

Meet poker
Old 10-28-2005, 02:33 PM

i'm going to raise hj's river bet then call the 3 bet, scream, type in some derogatory comments about his play(not pressing enter), then breathe deeply for a few seconds, delete what i've just written and proceed as normal
Old 10-28-2005, 06:30 PM

Last night. $20-40 Live.

Five to the flop for 2 bets. $200 pot. I'm in the BB.

Flop 554. I have a 5. I check, bet, CO calls, I raise, 3 bets, CO calls 2 more, I cap. It's capped 3 ways with 1 additional SB surrendered in the war. $460 pot.

Turn 4. Board 5544. I still have a 5 and bet. 2 calls. $580 pot.

River T. Board 5544T. I still have a 5 and bet, call, CO RAISES. I lean back and say "Oh no!!!" He says "Oh yes!!!!"

$740 in the pot for me to call $40 more and see the inevitable.

I shake my head, exhale as much air as my body and lungs will allow, shake it some more, exhale some more, debate about folding when knowing I'm 100% beat, then make the avoid-the-catastrophic-fold crying call. Other guy folds JJ. Donkey rolls TT.

20 minutes later I leave down $75 for the session, stand up, say "GL everyone, NH my friend", walk away with my dignity and leave the fish happy for the rest to devour. I racked that pot back twice this morning after returning to fight another day.

Note about bad beats. They happen all the time and no one cares. Learn to accept them or stop playing serious poker. You'll drive yourself crazy and look like a whining sissy in the process.