Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Standard TP fold?

I'm a little conflicted by this right now. You're getting immediate odds of 13:1 to call that last bet on the turn.
But... this board has a completed flush draw, four to a straight, MP1 gave a good stop n' go and the rock 3bet. All reasons I think the fold is fine.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Standard TP fold? (RESULTS)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why raise the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

if he gets raised he can be pretty sure he is far behind and fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you do that when you can get to showdown for the same price, and usually make more when you're ahead? (Guy behind folds for 2 but not for 1 typically, and if the turn bettor is bluffing, he's going to fold to the raise)

[/ QUOTE ]

Truthfully, I was pretty sure I had MP1 beat and that he had limped with some kind of medium ace that I outkicked (e.g. ATo or A8s, A9s). I also condsidered something like 44, but thought it far less likely. I don't think he'd play a flush draw this way; if he had the nut flush draw he would have 3-bet the flop.

SB had me concerned with all his cold-calling and I wanted to see just how much he liked his hand, so I rasied the turn. I figured him for either some sort of ace as well (medium suited perhaps, the worst case being spades, though I've even seen rocks play AQo this way preflop and flop) or a flush draw or something slowplayed like 55. If he has a weaker ace, I charge him the maximum, but if he's a ahead of me, he's C/Ring the turn (with, as I mentioned, the possible exception of a "scared" AQo just coldcalling and riding it out).

If he just coldcalls again on the turn, I'm probably check/folding the river unimproved. If he 3-bets, I know I'm toast.

Now all that said, the results are surpising:
<font color="white">
Surprising, nothing! They had exactly what I thought:
SB bets the river, MP calls.
SB shows QsTs for the flush.
MP1 shows ATo for a donkish 1 pair.

</font>
Old 08-07-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Standard TP fold?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why raise the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

if he gets raised he can be pretty sure he is far behind and fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you do that when you can get to showdown for the same price, and usually make more when you're ahead? (Guy behind folds for 2 but not for 1 typically, and if the turn bettor is bluffing, he's going to fold to the raise)

[/ QUOTE ]

If the guy behind is a typical player, we usually want to confront him with two bets if we think our hand might be best, because he will be correct to call with as little as 4.6 outs... In this case however, when SB is a rock and already called two on the flop, we can begin to suspect that he probably had a strong draw, strong ace or perhaps slowplayed some monster. I have a feeling that the turn card left us (at best) drawing to 3 outs...