Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 08:12 PM

Default These Religious arguments are Proof...

...that human beings will think whatever they want to think and rarely be swayed by another person's logical analysis and discussion (or lack thereof).
I have yet to read any of the posters here recanting or relinquishing a position based on the discussion at hand.
This means that almost everyone here is merely babbling to hear themselves talk.
This includes me.
PS. if you prove me wrong here, I'll deny I ever made this statement.
-g
Old 11-08-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: These Religious arguments are Proof...

[ QUOTE ]
This means that almost everyone here is merely babbling to hear themselves talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, we get that from David.

Oh, just having some fun, David, calm down now.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have yet to read any of the posters here recanting or relinquishing a position based on the discussion at hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is some preaching from both sides, but there are posters on here that are exchanging how we reason, how we defend claims, where the premises come from, etc. Not in order to change minds but to better understand alien thought forms . That comes in very handy when serving on school boards or PTA's or any socio-political activity, and there are lots we do.

Then there are those that just find aliens interesting even if there is no payoff in other areas of their life ( I contend there always will be). Along the lines of watching exotic animals.

Personally, I find it a tool-sharpening activity, having ideas challenged, counter arguments made, concepts expanded. I don't always expect a direct link that benefits me ( like in the socio-political scenarios) but clearer thinking on my part is +EV in any area.

luckyme,
if I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:23 AM

"I have yet to read any of the posters here recanting or relinquishing a position based on the discussion at hand."

It's happened a few times.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:18 AM

I changed my opinion that that there must be at least a god in the Deist sense, because I thought there was no such thing as an uncaused cause, which apparently may not be true. This is something I'm trying to find more information about (anyone have any?)

I also changed my opinion on whether or not true randomeness can exist.

My thoughts on crime and punishment changed a lot (especially after reading poker,gaming, and life)

Also there were many miscellaneous subjects where I suffered from fuzzy thinking causing me to draw incorrect conclusions, and these forums caused me to rethink my views on them. I still suffer from fuzzy thinking, but at least now it's to a far lesser degree and I am capable of noticing it.

I'm a big fan of this forum. It's basically my version of OOt. I don't contribute or respond much unless I see something that I am fairly sure ir wrong or I completely don't undestand, but even still I get a lot out of these forums.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:54 PM

Based on the comments I have recieved I officially recant. I was wrong which officially makes my posting wrong also. I could have saved everyone time and just done that right away.

g