Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: I raise A9s on BB with 3 limpers. Correct?

Would no one go for a check-raise on the flop? Betting out gives everyone 11:1 to call. Chances are you are ahead, but you are vulnerable to at least 4 overcards and spades on the turn, so isn't it worth the risk of having it checked through?

Must call the turn reraise with 7.5:1 and 9 clean flush outs + the 9's

River may be difficult to let go, but there are two players behind you yet to act and any 4 beats you. Wouldn't be surprised to see 33 either.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:01 PM

Pre-flop check. If I were the button though, raise.

Call the river. Huge pot. I would have to be absolutely certain that I was beaten to fold this huge pot for 1 bet.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:11 PM

PF: I'd prefer checking this through, although I don't think raising is all that bad

Flop: Good stuff

Turn: Perfect

River: Well done, I think calling here is silly, especially with people left to act who showed aggression on the turn
Old 12-20-2005, 03:28 PM

yeah i actually don't think Preflop is that MAJOR of a mistake as an offsuit holding would be worse.

i like the hand and would play it the same regardless of the results because even if we don't raise preflop, we're probably betting out on this flop anyways.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would no one go for a check-raise on the flop? Betting out gives everyone 11:1 to call. Chances are you are ahead, but you are vulnerable to at least 4 overcards and spades on the turn, so isn't it worth the risk of having it checked through?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not usually a good plan to raise preflop from the big blind and check on a harmless flop. This is a value bet and we'd like to protect our hand against things like K8 or even QJ. A BB raise shows extreme strength and a player with QJ will likely believe they have less than 6 outs (which they would if we had AQ/AJ/KQ/KJ/AA-JJ/99 which are all in our range) and will often fold especially when not closing the action.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:07 PM

tough luck, you played it well, especially the river fold which is a difficult lay getting 12-1 with top pair.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:10 PM

He makes the assumption that in such a loose game, betting will not protect your hand from QJ and K10 hands. I think I might agree with that assumption, and say a check-raise might be a smart play.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:26 PM

You folded for one bet on the river????????Just call even if you think you are beaten.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a difficult lay getting 12-1 with top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it 21.5:1???
Old 12-20-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He makes the assumption that in such a loose game, betting will not protect your hand from QJ and K10 hands. I think I might agree with that assumption, and say a check-raise might be a smart play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this argument is flawed. We're raising preflop because of a slight equity edge. On the flop our equity has usually skyrocketed and now we just want to check. What happens when it checks through because everyone is afraid of your monster hand? How much value do you give up letting flushes, gutshots, and overs draw for free? How are you going to make up for the money you left on the table?

If you want everyone to fold on the flop or draw incorrectly then check preflop instead of raising and face them with a 5:1 bet.