Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-01-2004, 04:07 PM

Default 2-5 88 Hand

Hero- $1000
sb - $900

2-5 9 handed. I’m utg+1 and limp with 88, it’s folded around to the sb who makes it $25. bb folds I call. sb is a very tough opponent to get a read on, so not really sure what this raise means.

Flop is 27Qr:
He checks, I check.

Turn is a 3 completing the r.
He bets $60, I call.

River is a 6.
He bets $180, I fold.

I should have raised the turn here, but since I didn’t I think folding on the river wasn’t that bad. I think calling instead of raising the river is a terrible play, thoughts?
Old 09-02-2004, 12:02 AM

Default Re: 2-5 88 Hand

Put yourself in your opponents shoes. Q72 rainbow is a very easy flop to pick up. So why did he check? He bets AK, JJ, TT, and any hand that missed the flop here. He only checks KQ/AQ or better here.

It's easy to get sucked in, but don't. If you don't believe in his strength, betting the flop is the best line.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He bets AK, JJ, TT

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not necessary true, at least not with this opponent. He knows if he bets this flop I’ll raise him with any two in my hand, so I think when he checked the flop he was attempting to c/r me, which is why I checked behind. The turn is where I feel I misplayed the hand. Anyway the river bet is what scared me off, I felt the only way I was going to push him of his hand was to go all in. I'm pretty sure he had something like JJ here.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:30 AM

I was going to comment on this hand but I forgot. I don't understand calling the turn yet failing to call on the river in this case. you can beat a bluff, and not much else, so the only way a call on the turn makes sense is if you put him on a draw and plan on calling the river.

if he checks on the river you're going to have to risk a lot to push him off his hand, and that hand is probably one pair that beats you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. so I don't think you win this all that much unless he's betting a draw on the turn and then just gives up. fold the turn.

--turnipmonster
Old 09-02-2004, 11:21 AM

I agree that the turn is where you made the mistake. I could see you folding here, calling planning to call the river, or raising planning to fold to a reraise or a river bet. What you did made no sense. If you thought he was bluffing, you should have stuck with it. If you weren't prepared to call the river, you should have folded the turn. It mostly looks to me like you called the turn praying that he was bluffing AND that he would give it up on the river.

From his point of view, preflop I worry about AA played for the limp-reraise in EP. That's why I raised preflop, to get you to commit and I can get out if I need to. Also, I figure that, if you really have a drawing hand, you were hoping for more customers and maybe I can just buy it right here, since you probably won't want to play it heads up. Depending on my image of you, I might do this with any two cards.

When you don't reraise the flop and then you check the flop and just call the turn, I put you on A7s, A4s or A5s, or else a small-med pair that has missed. When the river hits I'm hoping your small pair isn't 66 and I still think I can steal it. Either that or I have QQ and I'm hoping your small pair is 66 and I can break you.

I think that he would have bet the flop on a complete miss (i.e. AK or AJ), though maybe he was actually trying for a check-raise bluff. More likely I think he has A7, JJ, or TT, or else a monster. When you failed to bet the flop, he is betting the turn for value, thinking that his second pair / underpair is good (or knowing that his QQ is definitely good). I suspect that, if he is bluffing, he will fire again on the river. On the turn, you need to make a decision whether or not to call him down or give up now.

I do think that most people would have bet a little less on the river with a monster. I would have been more frightened of a $100 - $120 bet, here, unless you are a real calling station.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand calling the turn yet failing to call on the river in this case. you can beat a bluff, and not much else, so the only way a call on the turn makes sense is if you put him on a draw and plan on calling the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he was bluffing or on a draw I felt he had something like TT or JJ. Given the way I played the hand, I wasn't sure if he'd call an all in bet or not. Calling the turn was my real mistake here, I should have either raised or folded right there.