Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2003, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Ciaffone\'s Mid Limit Holdem book

I think the book does something that a lot of poker books do- it tries to show you how to play winning poker vs decent opponents. I used to try and play winning poker vs decent players. But lately, I've decided I prefer really beating the crap out of really bad players. There aren't really any books out there that explain how to maximize vs bad players.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:03 PM

hi sobe
i'm going to order mine as soon as i close this thread. having d.s., m.m., jim and bob's advice is a must.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:46 PM

The player was Barry Tanenbaum who is one of the top players in the Bellagio $30-$60 game. Barry is now writing for CardPlayer as well as being an instructor for Poker School Online. He also gives private lessons and charges $100 per hour. In fairness to Barry, he was only able to review about a third of the book before we had to go to the printers.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:54 PM

I just got a copy of the book. While I've disagreed in the past with some recommendations given by both Ciaffone and Brier, I've always liked their columns and their clear writing style.

I've read through only about 50 pages. While I may again disagree with some of the recommendations, I think the book is terrific. The specificiy of the advise, the clear writing style, and the organization of the book are all plusses. Here is a typical answer:

"Call, don't reraise. When there is a three-flush with that texture board and you get raised, you should put your opponent on a flush, since it is unlikely he is holding two pair. It loks like you are drawing, and you do not want to eliminate the third play. A raise with a three-flush on board is often made on the lone ace of the flush suit--but you know he doesn't have that hand."

Clarity and completeness of explanation.