Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 02:32 PM

Default AA in big blind

Live $500 max buy-in NLHE, $2/$5 blinds. I have about $750 in front of me. Game has been aggresive with 75% hands prefolp raised. I have AA in big blind. EP riases to $20, MP calls, MP+1 calls, button calls. I raise to $100 and EP calls, MP folds, MP+1 calls and button calls.

Flop is
8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The only hand I am really worried about are 88 and 99. Maybe suited 89??

I lead out for $250, EP folds, MP+1 calls after deliberating for about 20 seconds and button folds.

Turn
4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check and MP+1 moves all in and has me covered. He knows that I am weak tight as I have'nt played many hands. I belive him to be a solid player has he has the most chips in front of him and have seen him play his big hands fairly fast. I think about and think about it. He knows I have AA and not KK. I am fairly certain that he has me beat so I fold.

Today I am so pissed I should just punch myself in the face. I had half my money in the pot and did not call because I was chicken.

Should I have just checked the flop?
Should I have bet the turn?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: AA in big blind

Pre-flop: Fine.
Flop: I'd check/raise here. 4 players in a raised pot. One is bound to bet their AK or QK. Then you can push your stack all-in.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:34 PM

Check-raising is OK here, but I don't like it so much since it's 4-way. Plus--the pot is already over $400. My guess is that MP1 has AK...I call.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:51 PM

I'd consider pushing here preflop, or raising to about $200 or so at the least. you might get QQ or AK to call you here, as it looks like you don't want to be called. As played, I call on the turn - just too many hands you beat especially with a weak-tight image.

If people are going to try to draw out against your hand, make em pay as you're out of position the rest of the way. It will also make your postflop play very easy.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:17 PM

It sounds like you're playing scared and that's no way to win in a no-limit game. You're not up against 2-pair or trip kings. If this guy lucked out and hit a set of 8's or 9's against your aces, then it's your unlucky day. If you want to make money, you can't get away from aces in this situation.

-w.a.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:25 PM

I believe the proper play in this position is moving all-in before the flop. This does two thingsne it puts your opponent to a major decision for a lot of money and two it takes away any chance of someone having 8,9 or even a smaller pair. Get your money in the pot when you have the best of it. This is a perfect position to either steal a few bets or end up heads up for big money with the odds in your favor. Never just give people free cards unless there's a reason for it.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the proper play in this position is moving all-in before the flop. This does two thingsne it puts your opponent to a major decision for a lot of money and two it takes away any chance of someone having 8,9 or even a smaller pair. Get your money in the pot when you have the best of it. This is a perfect position to either steal a few bets or end up heads up for big money with the odds in your favor. Never just give people free cards unless there's a reason for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you want to go all-in for 7 or 8 times the pot?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He knows that I am weak tight

[/ QUOTE ]NO KIDDING!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:48 AM

go all-in for 750 with 4 people in for $20 each?

what a waste of a premium hand...
Old 02-03-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You "put someone to a decision" because you would like them to fold. If you were to make the ridiculous move of raising all in here it would be because you wanted your opponent and the other 8 players at the table to call you.