Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Girlfriend says I have major gambling problem and need help.

you didnt seem to mention any results specifically. it sounds like youre down. if you were down enough, i could see some of her reactions being reasonable.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
She is just hypersensitive because of the line of work she is in. She is projecting the issues she sees every day onto you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding, ding, ding!

I think it was good of you to go and speak with a conselor, but when you did what she asked (and she still flips out on you) you have to wonder who has the real problem.

Hope things work out for you,
J
Old 12-03-2004, 04:30 AM

Sometimes, that's just the way it is. She had to go
Old 12-03-2004, 05:01 AM

Apart from poker, this girl will control your life in many other aspects. You need a backbone and you have one. Good for you.

Lawrence
Old 12-03-2004, 05:33 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default lesson #1

[ QUOTE ]
In order to remove her name from the mortgage I had to refinance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be stupid enough to buy a house with a girl unless you're married. You got yourself into that situation when you didn't need to.

b
Old 12-03-2004, 06:18 AM

The only thing I can take issue with is saying you can no longer afford to play cards. In the new era of online poker you can have a fun time where you can work on your game playing .05/.10 or less. If it's an intelectual challenge for you, your set, go to pokerstars and play. If it's only fun when playing higher stakes, be real carefull, as that IS a sign of a problem.

P.S. I was formally married to a royal bitch and used to hide things all the time as it was hard to predict what was going to set her off. Go on with life knowing you are better off. Nicer women are all over the place.

Steve
Old 12-03-2004, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I finally came to the conclusion that if I could not do the things in life that I enjoyed what is the point in even living. In order to remove her name from the mortgage I had to refinance. Another scam by the banks to rake more needless my from us.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who works for a bank, I can tell you this much- if your mortgage went up from 1100 to 1800, then you either have a really bad credit score, got a lousy deal, or refinanced for more than the original loan.

I have no idea what your oginial loan and terms were, but using a decent rate over the past 2 years of 6.00%, to get to about $1100 a month it would be a $175,000 mortgage.

Now in order to make that same mortgage payment go up to $1800 a month, you would have to almost double the interest rate to 12%.

In order to have todays going "A" credit rate, your new mortgage would have to be on a $300,000 house, which means you took a lot of cash out.

Or it could be somewhere in between. But in order to go all the way up to a 12% mortgage in today's world, no offense, but your credit score must be pretty low.

A low credit score usually means you have trouble with finances, which might lead to why she got so upset.

There might be more of the story that we are not hearing here.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:15 AM

My house payment went up so much because I had to return the 90 grand she had put down on it in addition to the principle on 16 payments. As far as the money goes I probably lost about a $1000 total on online at first, but I eventually got better and could play at about break even.

I do not play online anymore, however I still get out and play 4-8 or 6-12 a couple of times a month. It is real nice being able to play as long as I want and no longer facing the dreaded 9:00 deadline. Thanks for the replys.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:21 AM

perfect move. you had alot of folding equity here, so you pushed and she called. unfortunately you got stuck with the mortgage refinance on the river, but sounds like you still came out ahead [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2004, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My house payment went up so much because I had to return the 90 grand she had put down on it in addition to the principle on 16 payments.

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies, I did not think of this. Of course, you didn't HAVE to give the money back, but that's the perils of buying a house together without being married.