Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2003, 01:38 AM

Default Go for the overcall?

Party 3/6. Assume typical players for the opponents in question.

Dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. UTG limps, LP limps, SB folds, I check. 3 to the Flop for 3sb.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, both call. 3 to the Turn for 6sb.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, both call. 3 to the River for 6bb.

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, UTG calls, LP raises. Go for the overall or re-raise? Results later.

-Brian
Old 11-08-2003, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Go for the overcall?

It looks like LP has a 3 for the straight, so I would reraise. LP is not going to fold in that case. UTG might fold if he doesn't have a 3.

Because there's a small chance that LP might have a bigger flush, it's closer but I would still reraise. The fact hat it's close means it doesn't matter much which you choose.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Go for the overcall?

Reraise.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:28 PM

Default Results

I decided at the time that UTG would probably call the River raise, but probably not a re-raise. I thought that if I were indeed the winner, I would gain 1 extra bet either way. And if I were the loser, then I'd save myself another 2 bets. So I went for the overcall, and UTG did indeed call.

LP had A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the rivered two pair (man, some people will chase with anything, no matter the board or pot size lol)

UTG had 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for another Flopped flush.

So, had I re-raised in this instance, both UTG and LP would have called, and I wound up missing 2 bets. However, as convincing as MG's 1 word argument of "re-raise" is, I am still not convinced it's the wrong play to go for the overcall here... I guess you guys haven't run into as many slowplayed till the River flopped Flushes as I have.

-Brian
Old 11-08-2003, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Results

Overcall. (How's that for a one word answer?)

Seriously, does the fact that you have a non-nut flush make it any more correct to go for an overcall, since you will occasionally run into the better/nut flush who will 4-bet you?