Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 06:56 PM

Default WOULD YOU CALL IN THIS SITUATION?

NL, small stakes game. After the flop its heads up w/ me last to act, i am fairly certain my opponent has p QQ, KK or AA, i have KJc w/ high card Jxx on board and flush draw. I called a 1/3 size stack bet on flop after several limpers folded, leaving their pre-flop $ in the pot (after 4x BB raise by bad guy). Both of us have med. stack size. x on turn, I called 1/2 stack size bet, then folded on river w/ another blank. I don't like to chase but given my hand and size of his bets, I called him down then, of course, regretted after for having abandoned my "principles". Bad calls on my part?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: WOULD YOU CALL IN THIS SITUATION?

[ QUOTE ]
After the flop its heads up w/ me last to act, i am fairly certain my opponent has p QQ, KK or AA,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you fairly certain of this? And if you were then you should've folded preflop.

If you're not fairly certain then go all in on the flop. If he has AA or QQ you have 14 outs to beat him. In fact in pokerstove if I input these hands given the board on the flop and use 3c and 7c as the rags you described you'll win 43.78% of the time angainst AA and you're ahead of QQ with a win % of 56.34%. If he has KK you have a 48.93% chance of winning because you have 13 outs and he only has one K left to improve to a set. He could also have a (higher) flush draw here that he may lay down, despite the fact that mathematically he's a favorite there (a much bigger favorite in fact than if he DOES have AA), still he may not want to put all his money in on a draw. Last he may be trying to bull you out with a pair that missed such as TT or unsuited high crads and he has you on a flush draw. Given all these possible circumstances, plus your fold equity if the flop missed him, I think a push is warranted here.
In a cash game it would almost certainly be my play.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 09-26-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WOULD YOU CALL IN THIS SITUATION?

[/ QUOTE ]

FOLD PREFLOP.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:54 PM

thanx for the responses, i should have stated that i deduced he had high pockets after his flop bet not before when he came in w/ a reasonable raise and several callers in front of me which led me to call w/ my kjs. if he had come in very heavy pre-flop and knocked everyone (or almost everyone) out i would have folded w/o hesitation. i was more interested in my post flop calls which estreet very adequadtely addressed. thanx again