Default Gaming Club WSOP Challange: Week 1

.......or What was I thinking?

first some numbers

Hands: 18623
table hours: 217.87
person hours: 57.38
hands per person hour: 317
overall win: $220 or $3.83/person hour

There were some good reasons, of course that I wanted to do this challenge. The WSOP is a big dream that I wanted to come true, I thought that it would give me focus on putting my hours in and get me out of a lazy rut I've been in where I haven't been playing enough, and it would sharpen my shorthanded game and multi-tabling skills.

The pessimist in me naturally pointed out short handed limit was the best game to clear this and that I’m not a great limit player at all, and really suck at shorthanded limit.

The good news is that I’m getting more comfortable with 4 and 5 tables. I was playing 3 or 4 and have gotten used to the greater speed. My MT ratio has been rising and is now up to 3.7 and my hands/hr is on the increase as well. A few times I’ve gotten over 400 hands/hr. in a session and that seems to be my saturation point at the moment. I’m sure that the 6 and 8 table folks are laughing at this, but it’s what I’m able to do right now until I get used to the higher speed. I’m really curious now: what kind of hand/hr. rate do you 8 table folks get before you max out?

The other good news is that I’m playing much more. There have been months were I didn’t do this many hands/hours and its helping my work ethic.

The bad news is the flat earnings. My shorthanded limit game is definitely a “work in progress” and it’s painful to put in the hours and not see results. The NL limit that I have to work at is larger than I’m used to so (1/2 with a $200 buy in as opposed to 0.50/ 1 with a $50 or $100 buy in) I’ve been just dipping my toe in here and there to try and adjust.

Small experiment at 5 Stud : 450 hands - $160

6 max 1/2 No Limit Hold’em 1719 hands - $124

6 max limit hold’em - overall 13669 hands + $40
2/4 9231 hands - $524 ~ -1.4 BB/100
3/6 2971 hands - $370 ~ -2 BB/100
4/8 401 hands + $414 ~ 13 BB/100
5/10 1066 hands + $521 ~ 5 BB/100

Full table limit hold’em – overall 2785 hands + $468
2/4 2261 hands + $127 ~ 1.4 BB/100
3/6 21 hands +12.50 ~ 9.9 BB/100
4/8 25 hands - $15 ~ -8 BB/100
5/10 478 hands + $343 ~ 7 BB/100

6 max isn’t automatically separated in PT from the Prima sites, so I really don’t have the $/ person hour stats from this, but it’s clear that I’ve had to resort to playing some full tables to keep my win rate up at all. That means less hands/hour and more hours, but I need to make at least some money along the way. The texture of the higher limits seem to suit my games more – I’ve always done much better in games that are weak/tight rather than loose/aggressive. Maybe it’s because I’m adverse to high variance.

It’s a learning experience. All the bad things about my ergonomics has been magnified by the number and duration of sessions. The 60 Hz monitor that I keep the lobby/ spreadsheet/ etc. on is killing my left eye and has to go- and soon. My chair is not comfortable enough and screws up the circulation in my right leg; my ankle gets swollen after a couple of hours. I need some kind of exercise thingy to use to keep from getting stiff. Definitely going to add some music to the room this week.

Also, I never thought of a catheter as a poker accessory before. Sorry, TMI. *blush*

I know that some other folks have joined me in this quest and I hope that they will share some of their experiences. I wish them (and O’Doyle of course) good luck.

Thanks everyone for your support. You are helping me stay sane.

Shauna
Old 05-21-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Gaming Club WSOP Challange: Week 1

Nice work Shauna, keep it up. I only had 2k after last night, but I;m playing all day today and tonight. I want 10k by the end of the weekend. I've really been enjoying the NL tables as well, a lot of them have been very juicy. I'll put up a real progress report after 20k or so.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:35 PM

Well done so far Shauna, and happy to see that you are adapting and learning as you go along [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Shauna was the brave first participant in this Challenge, and she entered before we realized that playing at the levels she is allowed to play at would make us lose money in the end.
So everybody else in this Challenge are playing higher limits than Shauna. (which is not a bad thing as it makes them more likely to 'only' have to play 100 000 hands.)

Now we realize that in Shauna's case we will be getting back a lot in implied odds, WSOP interviews etc! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] plus what we are learning from this is also valuable.

I am looking into having a report created that will show the progress of all contestants daily, the first thing I do every morning is to look at their progress [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again to all the contestants, great working with you!

ToT
Old 05-22-2005, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the interesting Report, Shauna.

Please be careful with your ankle problem. DVT is serious and always a possibility when you are sitting and inactive for a long time. At least stand up and walk around the room every twenty minutes or so.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:38 AM

Don't worry Mike, I'm keeping an eye on it. The doc sent me for an ultrasound on the veins in the leg; no blood clots and circulation is ok. I'll try and get up and stretch more.

Shauna