Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 12:27 PM

Default My Deleted Post about Roy Cooke\'s Books.

There's an interesting discussion about the referenced deleted post going on in the NVG forum on this thread: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1

Although I obviously disagree with Mason's decision to delete the post, it may surprise some that I completely defend his right to do so.

The original post is on RPG for those who care to look. RPG is a flaming insane asylum, but in its anarchy the freedom of expression reigns unhindered.(subject to others exercsing their own freedom of expression in ridiculousy extreme and often childish ways).

But this is Mason's place and he is well within his rights deleting anything from here that bothers him.

Best,

jb
Old 05-04-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: My Deleted Post about Roy Cooke\'s Books.

Hi Everyone:

All moderation on these forums is done by our moderator Mat Sklansky. I have no authority in this process.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 05-04-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

All moderation on these forums is done by our moderator Mat Sklansky. I have no authority in this process.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Three observations.

1. The rules against advertising were supposedly violated. While Mat apparently interpreted and enforced that rule,
I am sure Mason played some role in the creation of the rule or agrees with it.

2. Mason gave Real Poker II a 9 (out of 10) in GTOT - he liked the book. Here is a post containing his review:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...ev=#Post450677

3. In late January, there was a thread explaininig the differences between Real Poker I and II. Mason posted,
stating Real Poker I was no longer for sale.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...v=#Post1640904
Old 05-04-2005, 07:20 PM

Binions --

I posted my reply to Mason's comment regarding Mat being moderator on the who the [censored] is John Bond thread in NVG. I find Mason's comment disingenuous and intentionally misleading but you can read in detail on the other thread.

As one of the writers of the book, I know exactly what the differences between the two books are, and posted them here for the benefit of all.

The two books in question are out of print, with no plans to reprint one of them, and plans to print the other for late this year. In short the "advertising" in question was for products you can't buy.

There were two or three sentences about what Roy's working on which at a giant stretch could be deemed public relations --- though not advertising -- but the content was clearly such that it was information-based not advertising based. THough one could make a weak case that any such mention constitues advertising. It was certainly less blatant than much self-promotion that goes on here.

I think Mason directed Mat to the post with the suggestion that it be removed. But as that is not a question which lends itself to proof, we will never know.

In the meantime go ahead and read the post on RPG and draw your own conclusions. Justt do a search for Cooke in body and subject, last 7 days.

Best,

jb

PS I noted when I first came to the forum that Mason had good words for the second book, and my appreciation for that. David wrote the foreword to the first book.