Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 07:50 AM

Default PLO8 hand.

Hand from KotZ; all players are 2+2 and seem fairly tight. Blinds are 300/600 and we are down to two tables. I think that we were one spot away from the money.

this is about the second time in my life that I've ever played PLO8, and I think it's the first tournament in this genre for me so I have some questions.

Preflop, with a suited ace and three cards to wheel I'm thinking that this hand is worth a limp 5 handed but the high is not enough to warrant a raise. Is this OK, too loose, or not aggressive enough?

On the flop I get a wheel draw, and OESD on a rainbow board, back door flush draw and top pair as well as third best possible low. Five handed with a limper and the blind, I feel that betting here is better than checking, but in retrospect perhaps with 2100 in the pot 1200 was not enough of a bet?

The flop check raise from the BB worried me, but I felt that the pot odds justified a call, especially since I was getting him all in. Given that I've already made a mistake underbetting the flop, was the call good?

thanks for your help.

Shauna

PokerStars KotZ, Omaha Hi/Lo Pot Limit - Level IX (300/600)
(5 handed) converter

Seat 1: SB (7108 in chips)
Seat 3: BB (4313 in chips)
Seat 4: Heroine (7868 in chips)
Seat 5: MP (5486 in chips)
Seat 6: Button (4665 in chips)

Preflop: Heroine is UTG with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 300.
Heroine calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks. Pot is 2100

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets 1200</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises 2513 to 3713 and is all-in</font>, Heroine calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9526

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 5h 2c 4d Js (Low: 5, 4, 3, 2, A | High: straight, five high).
Heroine has 3c 3s As 5d (Low: 7, 5, 4, 3, A | High: three of a kind, threes).
Outcome: BB wins . </font>
Old 02-18-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: PLO8 hand.

you got lunch Boxed, lol...

Nice game last night, let me read a book and get back to ya. I would have done the same , but I have no clue if its correct in this game.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:05 PM

I'm the villain here. All I know is that I had the 2nd nut low draw (23 being the nut low draw) and I thought I had some Folding Equity. I think you played the hand perfectly, got me to push with a mediocre hand and got unlucky, but I don't really know much about this game either.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:31 PM

To sum up the response I typed right before my computer crashed:

Pre flop: Raise. You are the table chip leader on the bubble with a high equity hand short handed. Clear raise.

Flop: Yuk. You have a lot of marginal vlaues here: 3d nut low, gut shot to a wheel, top pair, and a back door flush draw. Any reasonable bet pretty much commits you to the pot, so check or bet the pot. (If you raised pre flop you can push here when checked to since you are representing top set and/or the nut low, and it will be very hard for someone to commit all their chips without a strong hand). If you check and it is bet, you have another difficult decision to make since you may or may not have folding equity if you check raise.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:40 PM

I would raise pot preflop. I don't like to limp at this stage. You have a decent low and a decent high. No one can have this hand beaten really badly preflop. I like to open raise with any strong hand, not just really strong hands. Since you were UTG of 5 players, I can sort of see the early position limp.

I would bet pot on the flop. What is the purpose of the small bet? It seems like a play to make if you are bluffing with nothing or trapping with the goods. You have something in between, so either bet pot or check. You made villian think he might be able to get you to fold by pushing. If you had pushed, villian might have folded. If you are going to call if villian comes back at you, why not push.

Your play of this hand seems tentative. You had a fairly good hand preflop and fairly good hand on the flop. So you make bets indicating you have a fairly good hand. This isn't bridge where you want to convey information with your betting. If I have a fairly good hand, I play it aggressively like I have the nuts or I don't play it at all. That way your opponents won't see your weakness, and you put the pressure on them.

It might just be a difference in style, but I play a lot more aggressively late in a tournament, particularly a PLO/8 tournament.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm the villain here. All I know is that I had the 2nd nut low draw (23 being the nut low draw) and I thought I had some Folding Equity. I think you played the hand perfectly, got me to push with a mediocre hand and got unlucky, but I don't really know much about this game either.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the second nut low, it is not a draw.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:44 PM

right, i meant that.