Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 06:33 PM

Default AAmaz0n WSOP Day 1. I play like me - KK no g00t.

Sorry for the delays on getting these trip reports out. I don’t have a laptop with me, so I’ve been borrowing internet access from a friend in town. The prices for everything at the Rio is just nuts.

My day one was on Friday. Denise had bought me that “lucky hat” at the WSOP gift shop and I decided to wear it. It was big and distinctive, so you may see it on TV if they looked my way. It is like a big top hat, red and black, with the card symbols on it. My thought was that it might throw my table image a bit and folks would take me less seriously.

On the way in and on at least one of the breaks, I was interviewed by some video crew, I’m not sure which one. If anyone sees me on TV, please tape it; I would love a copy and will happily pay you for it. I think that they were looking for “characters” and I certainly looked like one in that hat.

I was at table 158, seat 3. It was a reasonably tight table, with mostly good players. Most of them had the usual site gear on, a lot of satellite winners.

I don’t remember all the hands, but will go through the highlights.

I have KK, raise preflop, wind up HU with a fairly loose player. He has 77 and hits his set on the flop. I don’t realize this until the showdown, he doesn’t try to break me, just makes me payoff and I do. I never put him on the hand.

Same opponent, he raises before the flop. I call with AJs because the blinds are still small and I feel he is loose. I flop an A but don’t push because a player behind me was still in. I catch my J on the turn, but original raiser stays in and I’m again confused. When a 9 rivers he makes a reasonable size bet and I expect to see A better kicker or smaller two pair than me. Instead he had Q8 and caught his inside straight draw on the river.

After the first hour, I realize that my “cover image” is blown; folks are diving out of the way when I raise preflop or make a move. I didn’t think that my tightness was going to be recognized so early on. I make up for the big pots that I lost by picking up a bunch of small ones. I raise in middle or late position and pick up the blinds, or bet the flop whether it hit me or not. A few times I check the flop and bet the turn if a scare card comes and usually just pick it up.

I’m still down a bit but making up ground. Finally I go on a rush and win three hands in row and am almost even. I raise with KQs and get one caller, my “nemesis” is in the blind and calls. Flop of KK4 and I’m feeling good but he calls me on the flop. KJs? KT? PP and doesn’t believe that I really have the K because I’ve been picking up pots? I check the turn, and he check raises me on the river. It’s not a huge reraise and I’m again not clear on what he’s playing so I pay him off. Of course it’s 44 and I was drawing very thin the whole time that I thought I was ahead.

My one bright spot comes when I wake up with AA with about T3700 left. It’s raised in front of me and I start counting out my chips. I count out a call, then add on enough for a reasonable raise. Looking at what little I would be left with, I shrug and push it all in. I get one call, TT and the flop is rags. Still, I don’t feel really happy until the turn when an Ace hits. The case A on the river is just overkill.

One player says that he had 66 and was sorry he folded when a 6 came on the flop but happy he dodged a bullet. Another claims to have 77 and would have flopped a set too. One guy says that he actually laid down KK when he saw me push and sounded fairly sincere about it. I might expect that from someone who is used to playing KotZ with me, but surprised to hear that from a player who has only seen me for a couple of hours. I really have to work on that table image. Silly hats and chick chatter is not convincing folks.

I continue to get nibbled away as the blinds go up and we get into antes as well. Cards are not coming and it is getting to be time to start making moves. A couple of them go bad, and I’m down to about T4000 with blinds of 100 200 and a 25 ante (level 4). At 525 a round I can’t be overly patient.

Finally it’s folded to me on the button and I have KK again. I raise to 800 and the small blind comes over the top for 2000. I consider the range of hands that he is likely to make that move with in reply to a raise from steal position considering that he has a stack of 25K or so and figure that it is time to make a stand. He calls my all-in and flips over AJo.

Flop brings a J, turn rag, and I’m trying very hard to think positive….. 2d, 5h, please anything. Ace of spades hits and my series is over.

In a sense, I think that I lasted longer than some folks would have with the beats that I took, but then maybe some would have made better stronger moves to build a stack. I don’t know, but I will be thinking about how this went for a long time.

I want to thank everyone here for their support. It’s been a great ride and I hate to see it end. Good Luck to those still in; please let me know who you are and we’ll celebrate your good fortune.

Shauna
Old 07-10-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: AAmaz0n WSOP Day 1. I play like me - KK no g00t.

Sounds like you held your own and were having a good time in Vegas. Enjoy your stay and try to get em' next year.

-Joe
Old 07-10-2005, 06:51 PM

Sad to hear it ended early but it sounds like you're having a good time and that's what really counts in the end.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the report.
Will you be playing in any side events?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:32 PM

Nice run Shauna.
Pretty cool that you got there in the first place.

We'll get 'em next year.

How on earth does that guy fold KK? That seems pretty far-fetched to me....espeicially when your stack is so small.
If he did fold KK then he's an idiot.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:50 AM

Well, I'm sure it was still a great experience. Make sure you let off some steam and enjoy yourself.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make up for the big pots that I lost by picking up a bunch of small ones. I raise in middle or late position and pick up the blinds, or bet the flop whether it hit me or not. A few times I check the flop and bet the turn if a scare card comes and usually just pick it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is goot play I reckon, from what I saw. Very few decent sized bets were being called when a scare card hit on my day one table(s). Whoever had the nerve to throw out the bet very often won the pot.

Unlucky with the KK exit.

And I don't believe that guy folded KK either.