Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Scary Board Given PF Action (I had TT)

This river doesn't seem particularly threatening, but I can't think of a hand that would raise PF that I beat, other than KQ. Of course, I might chop with TT here.

Please comment on the hand.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB
Old 01-26-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Scary Board Given PF Action (I had TT)

Reads?

I have trouble with these hands sometimes, too. I've got choices, but none of them seem good.

Well, what else could you do? You could check the turn and fold UI on the river. But, that sucks. You could check the turn and call on the river. But, I like betting the turn and checking the river more. I guess the only problem with the bet the turn plan is what if UTG+1 raises?

Truth be told, I probably play this hand exactly the same way, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has some better ideas.

Note that if I had a certain read on UTG that might clarify how to play the hand somewhat.

Regards,
-Brian
Old 01-26-2005, 11:52 PM

He might have played AJs or KJs and put you on AA or KK. But he wasn't about to fold.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:34 AM

I would have to have a very good read on him to bet that river. Up until then, I think you played the hand perfectly. Don't give up on the aggression until he plays back at you, and if the board is this bad, take the free showdown.

Nice hand.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:12 AM

I think our thoughts are quite similar on this hand.

PV tells me that he's a LA-P. I'm not sure if I had that info at the time, but I didn't have any notes on his play style at the time.

I did made a note on him after the hand, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The more I think about this line, the more I like it. If he's got me beat he's going to call on the river, so a free showdown is the way to go.

If I check the turn he will bet the river with a hand that beats me, but not otherwise. In addition, he may call a turn bet with a hand that I beat.

I think he's more likely to call with a losing hand on the turn than the river and thus a bet on the turn is the way to extract the maximum if he does call.

If I improve and he's got a hand worth a call on the river, I can hit him for two bets.

I think that if he raises the turn we can fold, period. Again, this only costs one bet, but it does destroy our chance at improvement (1/23: not a bad price to pay though for the chance to get him to call with a beaten hand.)

What sort of reads are you looking for against this guy to adjust your play?

Thanks for your comments,
Dave.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:14 AM

Hehehe... thanks.

He turned over AQ at the showdown.

I don't have a bloody clue why he didn't hammer this turn.

I hope that I would have folded it if he had raised.

I know that's the right thing to do, but I'm not sure if I would have done so without this type of analysis.

--Dave.

P.S. How should I have responded if he had bet out the turn? Just put it down?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:21 AM

I'm very willing to bet he was going to check-raise the river. He probably had you as an aggressive player who would bet every street with no returned aggression.

If he bets out on the turn, I'm probably folding. Once that A hits, I don't see any hand that he's pfr'ing with beat you if he bets out. If he's willing to do this with 99, TT, or KQ, or maybe even a club draw, then more power to him for having an excellent read on you. Against an unknown, this is a laydown.

If he check-raises the turn, I'm folding before his money hits the pot.