Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: poker in the library??

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, that's what I did, turned me from a dean's list student to a drop out in under a year. Oh well, I was going to be an enginerd and make 50K a year, I make WAY more than that and poker is WAY MORE FUN then engineering.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of engineer makes 50K? My brother is pulling in close to 200K at 35.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Serious question -- why show up to class if you're going to play poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats how I rationalize not going to class. Its a dangerous road... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Professors take attendance.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the class, I have no problem paying attention while playing 1 table, and sometimes 2. I certainly don't play my "A" game, its just ABC robotic small limit poker. I definitely wouldn't have done this my first year.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:43 PM

In response to the OP, yes, it probably is a bad idea (and if you're talking about a highschool library, then make that a definite YES). I'm a college librarian and gambling on school property is technically something that can get you kicked out of school. There's also some risk that your financial info or account data can be picked off.

Adressing the larger issue which may or may not apply to the OP, there is also the issue of whether or not poker is going to hurt your future.

I was fortunate that the online poker craze caught me AFTER I'd finished my first Master's degree (which I used to get my current full time job). Poker is at least partially responsible for me failing to finish my second masters degree and PhD (I would have dropped out anyway most likely, but poker hurried the process). Poker closed doors for me that I would have preferred to keep open.

It's great if someone can make a living playing poker but it 's hard (was it Brunson who said it was a hard way to make an easy living?). Figuring out taxes is a pain in the butt, you don't get health insurance, retirement, or paid vacations and what do you do when you absolutely need to win to pay rent or your mortgage and you don't?

The difficulty making a steady living is the reason even the established pros look for other sources of income from book sales, endorsement deals, TV contracts, or already made a crap load of money doing something else.

My suggestion would be that while you're still in school to treat poker as a lucrative hobby or a part time job and finish whatever degree you're working on. Once you get that magic little piece of paper that says you're a graduate give going pro an honest shot if you want to but be ready to find a day job if it doesn't work out. Poker isn't going anywhere.

On a somewhat related manner, finding time for a social life may not be all that easy either if you're glued to a computer screen 8-12 hrs a day or more.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The difficulty making a steady living is the reason even the established pros look for other sources of income from book sales, endorsement deals, TV contracts, or already made a crap load of money doing something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to say that this is wrong. The only pros you see are the ones of TV, and then most of them are pro MTT players. MTT players are looking for ways to cut down on variance. People that are +EV in ring games are looking for ways to sucker fish into challenging them so they can win lots of money. You also overlook the fact that doing promotional work will pay more per hour than they can make at a table.

The OP should also just get a laptop with wireless.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to say that this is wrong. The only pros you see are the ones of TV, and then most of them are pro MTT players. MTT players are looking for ways to cut down on variance. People that are +EV in ring games are looking for ways to sucker fish into challenging them so they can win lots of money. You also overlook the fact that doing promotional work will pay more per hour than they can make at a table.

The OP should also just get a laptop with wireless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure how my statement is wrong or how your reply helps the OP or any other person thinking of going pro. Also, the fact that promotional work will generally make a pro more an hour sort of reinforces my point and I didn't overlook it but you've generally got to win something before they bother to publish your book or put you on TV.

But going with your argument, wouldn't even the pro ring game players be looking for ways to cut down on variance whatever they may be? Most landlords aren't going to care if you're running bad, they just want the rent. I may have suggested a few methods available only to those on the TV friendly MTT circuit but I'd be willing to bet that most successful pro players have sources of income other than their poker winnings. These could include a job, investments, a spouse with a steady income, or any number of hedges against the inevitable downswings. Any player even thinking of going pro should have a backup plan that doesn't involve luck. No one wins all the time and you can lose even when you don't make mistakes.

And my overall point, which the laptop suggestion sort of counters, is that the OP is most likely better off spending his or her time in the library doing school related things. I just read in another thread here that only 7% of players are winning players. In the off chance the OP isn't one of those 7% (or 10%, or whatever the number actually is), it might be a good idea to finish the degree first because you can always play poker but you CAN'T always finish a college degree (but once you have it, you can't lose it).

Sitting in a classroom and not paying attention is probably worse than skipping class entirely. If you skip, at least you know you aren't prepared but I've come across dozens of students who tell me after they flunk a test that they were in class and they read all the books (and my pet peeve, underlining passages in yellow marker doesn't do a darn thing). You have to pay attention and think about what what's going on. To use a poker analogy, just sitting down at the table isn't good enough to make you a winner.

I make about $29 an hour at my job, which isn't a heck of a lot, but I also have insurance, retirement, and paid vacation (2 months a year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). I can get car loans and home loans because I have a real job that pays me on a consistent basis. And I've also got a wife who makes about twice as much as me (MY hedge against variance). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm in that 7% but I don't pay my bills with poker winnings. When I'm running well at the tables I make much more than $29 an hour (and buy big screen TVs and silly stuff like that) but I've also lost $350 an hour before and I only play 5/10 LHE at the most.

Don't be a tool, stay in school. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 05:07 AM

Just had to reply here:

If you plan to play poker in the library, please do a search on secure services that allow you to connect via insecure WiFi services and reroute. Haven't got my laptop yet, but from my understanding this is the only way to go.

Now for RobDoral. It's good of you to take the time to try to help, but you are truly misinformed my librarian friend:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a college librarian and gambling on school property is technically something that can get you kicked out of school. There's also some risk that your financial info or account data can be picked off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, with the proper precautions you should be able to keep your affairs much more private and avoid those prying eyes. No reason to play IN the library though if you want to be extra careful.

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is at least partially responsible for me failing to finish my second masters degree and PhD (I would have dropped out anyway most likely, but poker hurried the process). Poker closed doors for me that I would have preferred to keep open.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm very sorry for you. Sucks to be irresponsible doesn't it? Not that I'm a good example either, but for christ sakes...do you realize how many degrees smart players have paid for via online poker? One can either balance these things or not and no pity for those who don't. That's how everything in life goes; seperates the successful from everybody else. It didn't work for you, but don't be bitter and nieve.

[ QUOTE ]
It's great if someone can make a living playing poker but it 's hard

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll just say it. I'm a moron. I'm an alcholic degenerate. Most of the time I play drunk. I don't get nearly as much out of my 1,000,000+ hands of PT data that any nincompoop could glean from a days study. My BB/100 hands is around .4BB. But I do know that with mult-tabling, bonuses, and "unmentionable" I make a very healthy living. My life is a happy content life for not other reason than poker. It's the ideal way to pay for an EASY and carefree degenerate lifestyle.

I hate to be the devil's advocate here, but jobs are everywhere. If you can't get one and live off it in the US of A, well then you are a low life. College degrees are there for anyone who wants one whenever they want one. Luckily for us it's not an opportunity that disappears. Poker however, may or may not always be there. Use it, rape it, raise hell and love life. I myself have been doing the college thing a semester or two on, then a semester or two off. It's fun and yeah it's worthwhile, but if you can make a good living playing poker...isn't that the end result you want out of university anyways? [ QUOTE ]
Figuring out taxes is a pain in the butt

[/ QUOTE ] That's what CPA's are for [ QUOTE ]
you don't get health insurance

[/ QUOTE ] Self insurance? Blue Cross? [ QUOTE ]
retirement

[/ QUOTE ] IRAs? [ QUOTE ]
paid vacations

[/ QUOTE ] One of the only jobs in the world where you can become independantly wealthy on a beach in Latin America [ QUOTE ]
and what do you do when you absolutely need to win to pay rent or your mortgage and you don't?

[/ QUOTE ] Manage your money...keep a healthy bankroll. Again, I'm an f'n moron compared to the majority of posters here. Never a problem with rent. Castastrophe strikes (a risk in any career)? Get a bartending job I suppose... [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] As someone else pointed out, your definition of an established pro is a fallacy. [ QUOTE ]
My suggestion would be that while you're still in school to treat poker as a lucrative hobby or a part time job and finish whatever degree you're working on. Once you get that magic little piece of paper that says you're a graduate give going pro an honest shot if you want to but be ready to find a day job if it doesn't work out. Poker isn't going anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ] Not bad advice here. Finish school if you must, but you seem to contradict yourself here now by suggesting the two CAN mesh. But my friend, Poker could dissappear. And more likely so than college. [ QUOTE ]
On a somewhat related manner, finding time for a social life may not be all that easy either if you're glued to a computer screen 8-12 hrs a day or more.

[/ QUOTE ] Malarky...I play about 4 hours a day at MOST. Wish to god I could manage 8-12 hrs. I'd be friggin' rich but I just don't have it in me. I envy those that do. Maybe I'll invest in one of those Aeron chairs or something. [ QUOTE ]
But going with your argument, wouldn't even the pro ring game players be looking for ways to cut down on variance whatever they may be? Most landlords aren't going to care if you're running bad, they just want the rent.

[/ QUOTE ] Pro ring players could give a **** about variance, it's making the most profit over the long run that counts. Maintain a good bankroll and the landlord will be happy. [ QUOTE ]
I'd be willing to bet that most successful pro players have sources of income other than their poker winnings. These could include a job, investments, a spouse with a steady income, or any number of hedges against the inevitable downswings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most probably do, but only because they are chicken ****. Just kidding, different folks have different reasons for keeping other sources of income. But not because they are inherent to success, it's just a decision. Some people might need a normal job just to feel sane. And do you suggest that poker winnings and investments can't go hand in hand? [ QUOTE ]
Any player even thinking of going pro should have a backup plan that doesn't involve luck.

[/ QUOTE ] Why does luck have to have anything to do with it? It's become very apparent why poker ruined your PhD. Here's some advice from me: Obviously this bit of education is very +EV for you. Well pick up that pride you abandoned somewhere and get the damned degree! Stop blaming it on anything other than your own shortcomings! [ QUOTE ]
I just read in another thread here that only 7% of players are winning players. In the off chance the OP isn't one of those 7%

[/ QUOTE ] Please don't use percentages anymore. I judge you inept at any sort of statistics at this point. Two plus Two isn't the general population. That said, the op could very likely not be part of that 7%, but that's something he should figure out for himself. I love what I do and I'd like to encourage others to do the same if they can. If it doesn't work out and they hit rock bottom, then at least they tried and if they are worth the air they breath then they can pick themselves up and try something else. [ QUOTE ]
Sitting in a classroom and not paying attention is probably worse than skipping class entirely

[/ QUOTE ] Now this really depends on the class and the professor. Say Statistics comes second nature to you and you have a stats prof. that mandates attendance...etc. etc. [ QUOTE ]
and my pet peeve, underlining passages in yellow marker doesn't do a darn thing

[/ QUOTE ] I agree here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Darn those note reliant imbeciles. Aside from important dates in a history lecture, just listen and remember! But isn't that easier to do than underlining while playing poker? [ QUOTE ]
You have to pay attention and think about what what's going on.

[/ QUOTE ] Yup. As I've been paying attention to my Nip/Tuck dvd today whilst playing. I could quote it for you if you like. [ QUOTE ]
I make about $29 an hour at my job, which isn't a heck of a lot

[/ QUOTE ] What? That's a sexy amount of earnings you ungrateful git! And two months of vacation? I might just change my major. [ QUOTE ]
I can get car loans and home loans because I have a real job that pays me on a consistent basis.

[/ QUOTE ] I haven't had any problems declaring a "web affiliate business" (though I actually have none) along with bank statements with any loan I've needed. [ QUOTE ]
And I've also got a wife who makes about twice as much as me (MY hedge against variance).

[/ QUOTE ] Now I am jealous. I'm a bachelor by nature, but say I could find a wife that makes twice as much as me? I might just change my ways [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Sorry for seeming such an arse. Your post was good intentioned and not all bad advice. You just fail to see things from other perspectives. The reason I took the time and interest (other than being a bit drunk) is because many of these viewpoints are kin to the condescending reactions I get from the public when I explain my current career choice. For some reason a college student in a ridiculous amount of debt and no particular career direction feels like they have more going for them than I. Well, I disagree and would wager that my life ten years...50 years down the line is a more pleasant place than most.

Cheers all.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:41 AM

always leave yourself outs
Old 11-29-2005, 09:00 AM

Schools are for fish. holla