Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-27-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Free ride vs Making your way

This is the situation,

22, college sophomore dropout (financial reasons), I am pretty much flat broke, paycheck-to-paycheck situation with no debts in a 9-5 dead end office job. I have no car. I live in a city and I enjoy being close to everything and having bus/trains to get around, plus I have a few really good friends although I don't see them very often.

A) Find a better job, no idea where to start, no degree, no "great" work history, served food, basic paperwork office job/receptionist., so if I find a good entry level, its going to be more sucky pay, or I can work another high stress, high paying, dead-end job, not too fond of either, can't afford school on my own without the high stress dead end option, but at least I’ll be on my own and enjoying my free time

B) My grandfather is very serious about me getting a college education, so much so that he said he would be willing to come out of retirement to help pay for it, benefits: 3 meals a day catered by grandma, Pretty much all basics would be covered, I could borrow their car for essentials, 2-3 years of school to get a degree. Downsides, would still have to find a crappy job in the country (even worse), BORING, (yet very relaxing) country life, I’ll be treated like a little kid; love them, but they are ANNOYING, grandma nags and grandpa has high expectations.

This is a hard decision I have been battling over for almost a year because the downsides/benefits are so close, I strongly value my freedom and don't like to put up with [censored] people who want to run my life (which is what I will be dealing with) but at the same time I am very unfulfilled working in a steady-state where I don't see my life is improving over the long term and I LOVE going to school.

EDIT: Pretty shallow, but I am pretty sure living with them in their older years (helping them) will definatly boost my expected value from their will.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Free ride vs Making your way

You may not know it now, but you really want that degree.
Suck it up for 2 years. Take extra classes & do it in 18 months if you can.

Very small price to pay. Do it now and get it out of the way.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:15 PM

Be extraordinarily thankful you have people willing to do so much for you. This will never happen in the same way for you again with anyone you meet for the rest of your life.

If you think boredom is tough while trying to get through college, it's nothing compared to the boredom -- and hopelessness -- of the garbage jobs normally available to people who didn't go to college.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. There's time to be supercool later, like the whole rest of your life. You're extraordinarily lucky to be loved and have people want to help you out. Get a clue fer crissake. If this even counts as a tough decision for you, be happy your grandparents treat you like a kid, because you are one.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:17 PM

dude get the degree, wow is this a no-brainer.

living with grandma for three years > waiting tables for life.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
downsides/benefits are so close

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
living with grandma for three years > waiting tables for life.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't see how this is even remotely close.

you said you've been struggling with this decision for a year, so you could have started school again a year ago, and could be 6-12 months away from graduating. wow, what a waste of a year. (actually, my year has also been wasteful, but we are talking about you)
Old 12-27-2005, 03:33 PM

go to school

but it'd be tough to make grandpa pay for it if he has to come outta retirement to do it

i'd try to pay my own way through school if it meant grandpa having to work

try to get student loans, grants, etc

move to georgia and go to college there, as after 60 credit hours, if u have a 3.0+, u can get the hope scholarship for free, courtesy of the poor tax, oops i mean georgia lottery

then u only have to work to support paying for school for 1 year and ur gramps can stay retired
Old 12-27-2005, 03:44 PM

I agree with everyone, the college route is a REALLY easy choice. It's like someone is offering you millions of dollars in expectation over the course of your lifetime, plus a lot more freedom to choose what you want to do, which will lead to a happier life, etc, etc. Easy decision.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a clue fer crissake. If this even counts as a tough decision for you, be happy your grandparents treat you like a kid, because you are one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-27-2005, 04:04 PM

OP:

Would they be willing to pay for a school that is somewhat far away so that you can live on yr own/ in dorm? If not, would they at least be willing to LET you live on your own if you paid for it? Do they have a specific school in mind or is there wiggle room? Maybe if you landed a scholarship somewhere they'd be willing to cover the rest, enabling: dorms, less nagging... more keggers / 18 year amateur strippers / myspace trainwrecks.

If not, take the deal...small temporary lack of freedom > long series of numb days smiling for a dollar and not using your brain followed by ignominious death. And take student loans no matter what.

Addendum: Students loans are awesome. Every one should take them if possible. Unlike a car loan, they cannot repossess your education if you default…they just ask very nicely if you will please pay soon. I will be paying off my SLs until I am 40…longer if I quit eating red meat! Also: you pay taxes, so really you’re just paying yourself to go to school. Do it.

--GA