Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-23-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Bubble survival

$5+1 on Party. Blinds 100/200.

Stacks:
MP: 3130
Button (HERO): 1595
SB: 1085
BB: 2190

SB and BB have been playing tight and not very aggressive.

Hero is dealt [Qc 8c]

MP folds, Hero??

First off, I'm relatively new to tournaments having played most limit ring games up to this point. I've noticed I have no problem getting into the top five, but then I have problems. So, I'm trying to get some of the basics down for when I am on the bubble. So for this specific situation:

-what percent of hands I should be pushing at this point?

-Am I in all-in/fold mode here because I have less than 10BBs or would a small raise be ok (and at what point do I go into all-in/fold mode)?

-how much of a consideration is it that I have a slight lead over the small stack, specifically should I tighten way up and go for third or be very aggressive?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Bubble survival

- Don't play the 6s, the rake is the same at the 11s.

- This is read dependant. You should take into account your being the 3d stack and the number of BB's remaining in your stack and when the blinds go up again.

- Pushing this is +EV. How +EV it is depends on the calling standards you've been able to ID through your reads. If they are loose callers, the +EV edge is huge.

- Standard push.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- This is read dependant. You should take into account your being the 3d stack and the number of BB's remaining in your stack and when the blinds go up again.

- Pushing this is +EV. How +EV it is depends on the calling standards you've been able to ID through your reads. If they are loose callers, the +EV edge is huge.

- Standard push.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?!? If they are loose callers, a push is way -EV. With a marginal hand (and often even with a premium hand), the last thing you want is a call on the bubble.

At the low level SNGs, I usually just fold this, because they call way too often (which I don't want) and don't push enough (so I have time to wait).
Old 11-23-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I tried that. Played 30 $5/1s and had an ROI of around 50%, went to the $10/1s and immediately lost 10 straight, so I stepped back down. Maybe variance, but it certainly hurt my confidence.

So what percent of hands should I be looking to push in this spot? Top 40% or so?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$5+1 on Party. Blinds 100/200.

Stacks:
MP: 3130
Button (HERO): 1595
SB: 1085
BB: 2190

SB and BB have been playing tight and not very aggressive.

Hero is dealt [Qc 8c]

MP folds, Hero??

First off, I'm relatively new to tournaments having played most limit ring games up to this point. I've noticed I have no problem getting into the top five, but then I have problems. So, I'm trying to get some of the basics down for when I am on the bubble. So for this specific situation:

-what percent of hands I should be pushing at this point?

-Am I in all-in/fold mode here because I have less than 10BBs or would a small raise be ok (and at what point do I go into all-in/fold mode)?

-how much of a consideration is it that I have a slight lead over the small stack, specifically should I tighten way up and go for third or be very aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no easy answer to "what percent of hands to push". It is highly read-dependent.

Yes, you are in all-in or fold mode with less than 10 BB.

The shorty is not short enough to hugely influence your decision, but it is a factor. See the FAQ regarding ICM for more insight.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I tried that. Played 30 $5/1s and had an ROI of around 50%, went to the $10/1s and immediately lost 10 straight, so I stepped back down. Maybe variance, but it certainly hurt my confidence.

So what percent of hands should I be looking to push in this spot? Top 40% or so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Play the 5s until you have the bankroll/comfort level for the 10s. It's no big deal.

Top 40% is way too many to push at the 5's, in my opinion. See my other post for the reason.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:23 PM

You could play the $5+0.5 on stars... I don't know how the different structure and/or gameplay would affect you though.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- Standard push.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?!? If they are loose callers, a push is way -EV. With a marginal hand (and often even with a premium hand), the last thing you want is a call on the bubble.

At the low level SNGs, I usually just fold this, because they call way too often (which I don't want) and don't push enough (so I have time to wait).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you've sorta become my personal proof reader. Its nice.

Anyway, this isn't a -EV push anyway you look at it. The margin of EV decreases the looser the calls but is still +.5% against any 2.

Sorry you misread what I miswrote.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- Standard push.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you've sorta become my personal proof reader. Its nice.

Anyway, this isn't a -EV push anyway you look at it. The margin of EV decreases the looser the calls but is still +.5% against any 2.

Sorry you misread what I miswrote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. Guess Q8s is stronger than I thought.

And there is almost a fifth of Hero's stack in the middle.

I still like finding a better spot, but I guess I can't really argue against a push.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 PM

people misunderestimate how strong pretty much every hand is against pretty much every calling range. this is because people overestimate the edge a good hand has against a bad one, and over estimate the power of folding equity(2) that's equity in the pot caused by people's likelihood to fold, not the "ability to make anyone fold" definition. even players who think they've really kinda figured this stuff out mostly haven't.

c