Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 07-28-2005, 02:02 AM

Default HOW DO YOU PREVENT TILTING

I tilt so badly. I'll win hours upon hours then take a bad beat and lose it all in the following hands. I can't help it I just get so angry. I yell, I scream, I punch things then I proceed to lose my winnings. I watch it all slip away before my eyes. I tilt midhand when I know they just caught something and call out of spite I can't help it. Like I just flopped a straight and I put this guy on a set then the board was running 3's on the turn and river and I knew he just hit a set and rivered a boat but I check called him anyway cause I was pissed off. I can't help it.... Any suggestions?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Re: HOW DO YOU PREVENT TILTING

I throw [censored] at the wall. That makes me feel better.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:10 AM

NO you don't understand thats the first thing I do and it doesn't help any, its usually the laptop which can be a bit of a problem.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tilt so badly. I'll win hours upon hours then take a bad beat and lose it all in the following hands. I can't help it I just get so angry. I yell, I scream, I punch things then I proceed to lose my winnings. I watch it all slip away before my eyes. I tilt midhand when I know they just caught something and call out of spite I can't help it. Like I just flopped a straight and I put this guy on a set then the board was running 3's on the turn and river and I knew he just hit a set and rivered a boat but I check called him anyway cause I was pissed off. I can't help it.... Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Move down in stakes.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:13 AM

I'm at the lowest of low I'm hustiling nickels and dimes....
Old 07-28-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm at the lowest of low I'm hustiling nickels and dimes....

[/ QUOTE ]

And you're still going apeshit when you lose a pot? Maybe poker's not for you...
Old 07-28-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I throw [censored] at the wall. That makes me feel better.

[/ QUOTE ]

[image]http://604poker.com/images/culprit.jpeg[/image]

That's an actual imprint of a TI poker chip in my wall do to... well... let's not go there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For some reason the pic won't post. Link below:

http://604poker.com/images/culprit.jpeg
Old 07-28-2005, 02:27 AM

To cure the disease, you have identify the cause.

Tilt is caused by losing, simple as that. Letting losing put you on Tilt means that you EXPECT to win. Thats just stupid. No player is entitled to win, ever, throughout their entire life. You need to emotionally seperate yourself from everything around you, including your cards, your bankroll, your results, and your opponents.

Being tilt proof is about being on an emotional freeroll everytime you play. You can't care whether you win or lose a particular hand, or over 10k of them. You can't care if your opponent plays well and outdraws you, or if they play horribly and outdraw you. You can't be excited when you flop a set, and you can't be discouarged when you don't. Tilt is about expectations, and when you enter a poker game with ANY expectation of success or of winning, you are going to be disappointed more often then not.

Free yourself from entitlement and high expectations, and you'll free yourself from tilt.

lf
Old 07-28-2005, 02:35 AM

I mean that was really proffettic don't get me wrong but how does one truly do that? DO I have to read "Zen and the Art of Archery" that Howard Lederer is always talking about or what.......
Old 07-28-2005, 02:55 AM

TYPING IN ALL CAPS USUALLY CALMS ME DOWN