Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2002, 06:31 PM

Default QQ in 3-6 Kill hand

I am UTG in a 3-6 kill hand (bets are 6-12). I just arrived at the table and I have no read on anyone. Button player is an older gent with 3 or more racks of chips stacked in front of him. Killer is in the SB.

I get QQ and raise, MP calls, cutoff calls, button raises, SB calls, BB calls, I re-raise, MP folds, cutoff throws in a gratuitous cap, everyone else calls.

Flop comes T63 rainbow. Check, I bet, cutoff calls, button raises, SB, BB fold, I re-raise, cutoff calls all-in, button caps, I call.

Turn is J, suit doesn't matter. I check, button bets, I call.

River is Q, I check, button checks.

Old 12-21-2002, 06:49 PM

Default Re: QQ in 3-6 Kill hand

Personally, I'd give you a 8. Here's my reasoning:

Minus .5 for not checkraising the flop to put extra pressure on MP and CO who voluntarily entered the pot (as opposed to the SB and BB, which in LL will most of the time enter the pot with below average hands when they see preflop action). Obviously if the blinds are tight/aggressive players who will likely have legitimate hands, then betting out with the hopes that the button will raise is ok too. Although if you had to pick, who would you rather eliminate? I would lean toward trying to get MP and the CO out, since they have position on you and you have position on the blinds.

Minus .5 for re-raising the flop. An "older gent" is usually ahead of you here and is going to cap it. When I'm in this situation I try not to put in more bets than I have to.

Minus 1 for not betting the river. Effectively, you have the nuts against the button. Old men do not play straight draws as aggressively as he did. He will either have an overpair or a set, both of which you beat. Maybe it's only a minus .5 if you were going for a checkraise, but after all this action I wouldn't rely on an old man to bet here, even with a set. They often check in situations like this picturing some silly straight.

Just my opinion...I'm interested to hear what others have to say!

- JAA

Old 12-21-2002, 07:08 PM

I edited this out by accident: Rate me on a scale of 1 to 10.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:37 PM

Default Outcome

Button has AA. I think I saw the clouds part and a beam of light shining from the sky when the Q came on the river. I thought I had just wasted my first rack buy-in before that.

I probably should have bet on the river. I had some thoughts that AK would raise me and I would regret it, so I just checked.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:44 AM

I'd take off minus 1 for not checkraising the flop, and 2 for not betting the river

Stu
Old 12-22-2002, 02:58 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

button has AA or KK...he isnt betting the flop like that on a draw, and he wouldnt raise pre here with TT. at least most dont...

options on the flop, betting out or c/r. c/r probably better with the button being aggressive...

may as well call it down, but id have bet the river. many ol' men will check fearing a running str8....from years of being sucked out on...

rate it a 9

b
Old 12-22-2002, 01:40 PM

I thought he'd come out betting on the river, and was considering a check-raise. If my queen doesn't come on the river, do I lay it down to a bet?
Old 12-22-2002, 03:49 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

one could argue that if youre calling the turn, youre calling to showdown. since youre chasing 2 outs. and nothing will have changed if a blank hits. i think if youre going to fold this, the turn is the spot.....BUT that's a tough fold with an overpair, so you could lay it down on the river if you know this play isnt likely to bet that far, that much with anything less than something that beats you. would he bet this way with AJ? thats about the only hand he could really represent that you could beat. and he isnt playing the flop like that with AJ. i try and keep track of how/what they bet on each street. if he had AK, i dont think hed have played it that strong...but if he IS capable of that, lean more towards calling...but his flop and preflop play is screaming 'overpair'

knowledge of the player helps in the turn and river plays, but if in doubt, with an overpair, call it down. losing the pot is a much bigger mistake than losing 1 or 2bb. unless youre calling everything down, that is... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

b