Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 02:50 PM

Default AA Against the Table Aggressor

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (8 handed) converter

UTG (t9750)
UTG+1 (t58215)
MP1 (t27557)
MP2 (t17670)
CO (t7275)
Button (t1750)
SB (t8808)
Hero (t17165)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2500</font>, UTG+1 calls t1300.

Flop: (t5300) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t6000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t45600</font>, Hero calls t8615 (All-In).

Turn: (t65515) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t65515) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t65515

Villain is loose and aggressive. His stack has gone through some really big deviations due to his Laggish plays. He plays REALLY postflop though and has control over this table.

PF I only raised the pot since I wanted to extract just a little more from him. Was that a mistake? Also this is a rebuy tourney, but its already past the second break.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: AA Against the Table Aggressor

I play it the same way. Sorry you lost to the rivered boat.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-25-2005, 02:58 PM

Looks fine, I'm going broke here as well. PF I would raise to ~3000 or so, but he's got a big stack and is coming along anyways, so it's not that big of a deal.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you really make the tiny reraise pre-flop and the overbet on the flop?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you really make the tiny reraise pre-flop and the overbet on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I could be wrong. Preflop hero has the best starting hand. You are looking for a call, so a nice little minraise often accomplishes that. If villain pushes back, all the better.

On the flop, hero is out of position. There is a somewhat coordinated flop with two hearts and KJ on the board. If villain is playing overcards (AQ?), there may be a flush or straight draw. Hero needs to protect his hand. The pot is already large enough, so if he can take it down right now, why not. A pot sized bet or in this case slightly larger might show villain that hero is committed to this hand.

I'm learning here as well, so I'm open to reading other strategies that are more advanced.

Steve
Old 04-25-2005, 04:39 PM

Your reraise preflop is terrible. The best way to play AA here is to make it about 3600 preflop and then bet small (1/2 pot maybe a little less) on the flop. This line will generally force people to make more mistakes. There are ZERO hands your opponent should lay down preflop here given the sweet implied odds you have dished to him. Unless you are constantly making these tiny bitchy preflop raises then your line is bad imo.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:51 PM

Like Jason, I don't like this miniraise PF, but I don't think it's terrible, if you had a good read on the table, and you're doing these kinds of mini-raises with other hands too. The fact that villain gets implied odds to call with anything is not the only problem here, because you don't really want him to fold anyway. However, you're not only giving him good price, but the problem with miniraising is that it's usualy a pattern used by predictable players when they hold a big hand, and so you are simply leaking information to villain, which will make it easier on him to call and avoid mistakes post flop. Since it is really easy for him to call your mini-raise with anything, due to odds, you are making his life easier twice. And you don't want to do that.

A normal pottish raise is therefore better, IMO. and yours is not one.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:10 PM

The crazy israeli has good things to say.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:22 PM

If villain is that much of a Lag I raise it more PF to at least 4800 and get as much out of him PF as I think he'll call.

Then on that coordinated flop I'm betting the 2/3 pot and hoping he has overplays KQ or a flush draw and puts me all in.

I call his push and scream bloody murder when he turns over KJ and berate him for the next 30 minutes. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]