Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 12:05 AM

Default 2/5 NL holdem hands for review (Get my sets PAID OFF?)

Been meaning to post these for a little while, interesting session I had in a game in NYC any way here they are:

2/5 Nl, 8 person table, I have $900 in front of me. I have everyone covered. Its been 2 hours since I sat down. I have a good idea of how every1 plays, I have a tight table image, winning one big showdown and a few small pots.

I pick up JJ in third position.

I raise to $20, folded to the button who calls

Button is very loose aggressive, the only aggressive player at the table. His preflop play is horrible, any 2 cards will usually do, his play improves a little on the flop, he can lay down a big hand or two. he’s got a little more then $700 in front of him.

BB also calls

Pot $62

Flop J A 3r

BB checks, before I can make a move, the button says check.

The dealer informs him I didn't act yet, he said "oh", I reach for $40, and bet.

Before I can get my chips into the pot he announces raise, He puts in $100 on top. BB folds.

What’s your play?

I'm sure he has a solid hand with this little play he made, I believe he wanted to show weakness, so I'd bet and he could reraise. But it is entirely possible he wasn't following the action. Any way I didn't let it effect my play, I planned on raising and did so. I put him on 2 pair or better. I rule out AA, because he would always reraise to get the hand heads up.

So, what’s the best way to get his chips in the pot? I decide to slow play and let him do the work. I call.

Pot $242

Turns a 4

I check, he bets 200.

What’s your play?

I decide It's time to change gears and state my hand. He has 400 more in front of him, about the size of the pot. So I set him in. He folds A4 face up.

Anyone play this different?

When I go to collect the pot I decide with a little acting I can change my table image and possibly effect his play. I put on a big simile, and flash his half of the table my jack and proclaim jack Queen, and slide it into the muck.

I felt this was a good play. I usually like to avoid showing anything, whether its cards or emotion. I though I needed to loosen up my table image to get some hands paid off. Anyone think differently?

The play worked (I think), every hand I played I was getting action, unforantely, the cards ran south so 3 hours later I'm down to about $850.

The plays now 7 handed, the button player from last hand is long gone, and a few other new players have sat down, so my table image is fresh.

I pick up 5 5 on the button. 3 limp in front of me. I limp, sb calls, button checks. 6 to the flop.

I think limping is the only play, hit my set or fold.

Pot $30

Flop Qs 7 5s

UTG limper (a new player) bets out $50, player next to me very loose weak calls.

Whats your play?

Once again I want to get this hand paid off. I put UTG on Qx, and the player next to me on a pair or more likely a flush draw. (both players have about $500 in front of them) I dont want to let him see the next card with out putting some more chips in, but I am afraid of the sandwich effect scaring off the utg player. I finally decide to raise $150 on top.

Utg after much delay folds (damn it), the guy next to me calls (alright).

Pot $480

turn 8s

Hmmm... Not the card I wanted. He checks I check.

Pot $480

River 2

He checks I check.

I show my set he mucks.

Should I have played the turn and river differently. I feel if I raise and he calls, I am beat. What's your play? I have 2 other hands for later, but let me hear some responses for theses sets.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: 2/5 NL holdem hands for review (Get my sets PAID OFF?)

Wasn't it obvious when you showed the table your one jack you had a set of jacks? Especially if you just whip out one of the two cards w/o looking.

I'd also, assuming his demeanor hadn't changed for the better, bet the river on the 55 hand.