Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: We need a new word for \"gambling\"

[ QUOTE ]
...but poker has the skill element. Roulette, keno, slots, the lottery and betting which bird will fly off the fence first have nothing to do with skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually betting on which bird will fly off the fence first may have an element of skill. Someone could have +EV in the long run by studying the species of birds, their gender, wind conditions, and habits.

But here is a story.

A bunch of friends and I have this game were we all get 2 cards face down and bet on who thinks they will have the best hand after 5 cards are dealt in the middle for all of us to share.
Most of my friends didn't think their cards were good but I (JJ) and this other guy (??) liked what we saw so he bet me $10 that he would win and I accepted his bet.
After flipping over 3 cards J T 4 he bet me again that he would have the best hand at the end, I disagreed and offered to increase the wager. He accepted.
We turned over one more card 6 and he finally snapped. He was so sure his hand would be the best that he bet me all the money he had in front of him, I accepted his offer.
The final card was a T. We showed our cards and he had K-K-T-T-J vs. my J-J-J-T-T so I won the wager. We continued playing this game all night long. Maybe I should find a name for this game of chance and skill?
Old 08-24-2005, 12:47 PM

How about "kerfilozlinkiting". It's new, anyway. Sounds like German when said out loud [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 01:13 PM

I did like "Gambooling"...whoever suggested that one. It goes well with the "...but they were sooted!" excuse.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:05 PM

What's wrong with "playing cards".

I like telling people I play cards. It's pretty vague and much softer than saying I gamble. I don't have to explain myself as often because people tend to draw their own conclusions.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he had K-K-T-T-J vs. my J-J-J-T-T so I won the wager

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 08-24-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend likes to call poker "gambling". I like to think of it as "a skill game played for money".

When I use the word "gambling", I think of the house having an edge (like our national lottery in Canada where they only pay out 45% of what they bring in), or betting on completely random events (coin flips, a ball landing on 8 black).

Does anyone else differentiate between poker and "gambling"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling something by a different name doesn't change it's definition, no matter how much sugar you coat it with.

See also: George Carlin.

Poker is gambling. Investing is gambling. Any time you take a risk for potential gain is gambling. In fact, let's turn to Google for the definition:

Gambling (or betting) is any behavior involving the risk of money or valuables on the outcome of a game, contest, or other event in which the outcome of that activity is partially or totally dependent upon chance or on one's ability to do something.

Also:

The act of playing for stakes in the hope of winning (including the payment of a price for a chance to win a prize); "his gambling cost him a fortune"; "there was heavy play at the blackjack table"

Gambling just so happens to be the English word we happen to use when we talk about this. If you want to make up a new word, go ahead. I like new words. Just realize that it means the same exact thing, and that it will carry the very same negative connotations that gambling does.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Get off your high horse

First of all, only people who are consitent winners over years can call it a skill game because they are proven winners. However the fact is, everyone is gambling when they play poker. Just becuase you might have an edge doesn't mean yo uarne't gambling. Get over yourself you aren't even a winning player that's re\i\diculous. plus it's more fun to gamble
Old 08-24-2005, 11:16 PM

If you're truly a winning player at a cardroom you could call it "investing" or "business". Of course, to be a winning player, you have to overcome annual "rent" of $10,000 to $40,000. This is over the long haul.

Short term it is definitely gambling.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:34 PM

"lick the cube"
Old 08-25-2005, 06:59 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
How about "kerfilozlinkiting". It's new, anyway. Sounds like German when said out loud [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love posts like this. I have a feeling that one of my dreams tonight will be about about agitated nazi officers crying the word "kerfilozlinkiting".