Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: WSOP numbers off by $420,000

[ QUOTE ]
Well, that means the person lied about their age in the beginning

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean at the beginning? It's not like they were asking for your age at the beginning of a WSOP qualifier. Maybe you mean when he first deposited money in Stars? But then he could have been confused about the age limitation for the WSOP, and not deliberately lying about it.

Still it's very strange, IMO, that those 420K just go to Stars. These are 420K that come from the pockets of 100% (or very close to it) legitimate Stars' players. That's a lot of money, coming from our own pockets... unreal.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:35 PM

Yes, they aren't even supposed to be playing online anyways. And being 21 for the WSOP should be a given.

I do not think it is that odd that about .08% of the field that signed up were underage.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:35 PM

You forget that the money came from your own pockets and then went into somebody else's before getting confiscated.

It's not like they stopped a double shootout because somebody was 19 and took the prize money. The underage person first beat you, so they're confiscating the money from him, not you.

I agree with Time, I don't see the problem with doing this.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they aren't even supposed to be playing online anyways. And being 21 for the WSOP should be a given.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You forget that the money came from your own pockets and then went into somebody else's before getting confiscated.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the logic presented here, there isn't any difference if they take any money won by any <21 player in any normal online MTT and the money "confiscated" here. There isn't any difference in regard to their T&C, if I understand this whole business correctly. Don't any of you find this strange and highly arbitrary? Sure those underaged players can't play the WSOP because of US laws, but if so many underaged players DID play WSOP sats and obviously some of them qualified, it really looks like it's something that could have been anticipated.

I understand the point about the money not taken directly from me during the tourney, but if I knew that there's a chance some kid wins a DS I'm playing, and the money goes straight to Stars, I think I would have treated it differently... and I really didn't know, as I'm sure many others didn't know that's the way it's played. For some reason, I think that there are more reasonable solutions for this, like in cases of collusion, that were mentioned here.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:49 PM

I came 2nd twice in double shootouts.

I am extremely pissed if Stars is really keeping the cash.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 07-09-2005, 10:53 PM

Possibly, but it wouldn't be right to give the underaged kid financial compensation.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I came 2nd twice in double shootouts.

I am extremely pissed if Stars is really keeping the cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a very similar expirience. Played a nice number of DSs, was very close to winning it couple of times, but unfortunately didn't make it. I have no problem with these results, obviously, that's poker, but as you say, if the money went to stars in some of these cases, something is definitely wrong here.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a very similar expirience. Played a nice number of DSs, was very close to winning it couple of times, but unfortunately didn't make it. I have no problem with these results, obviously, that's poker, but as you say, if the money went to stars in some of these cases, something is definitely wrong here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that Lee Jones is pretty busy right now, but he needs to address this in this forum.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 07-09-2005, 10:57 PM

So you would want to find the event the player qualified through, and refund everyone? Isn't that a bit drastic?
Old 07-09-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Possibly, but it wouldn't be right to give the underaged kid financial compensation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about it: suppose in a certain DS there are 2 players left. Prize pool is about 12K (the package is actually worth significantly more, with the hotel and all), you have equal stacks. You lose it (the details don't matter, it's only an illustration). The other player wins the whole thing, then they find he's 18, they take the money, nobody wins anything, nobody tells you anything. What do you think about it?