Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 05:01 AM

Default T9s

Not much to the actual hand. I'm just curious as to our action on the turn had villian called the flop. Are we completely done with the hand save spiking a pair? Or fire again no matter what?

Villian just sat down so no read yet.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 3.16 BB
Old 11-19-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: T9s

I would check unimproved. I dont see any point in pushing a small pot when you dont even know what type of opponent you are up against.
If you hit the turn I would continue to bet, obviously slowing down to CR.
On the river value bet your pair assuming a blank hits. Take a free showdown if a major scare card comes like the Ac which would fill most draws and obviously pair some lamers over card.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:26 AM

It's hard to see many hands that are worth peeling with on this flop and then folding on a turn blank. But a lot of 3/6 players will do just that. So I'd at least consider betting again. Among other things, if you make a habit of iso-raising T9s, auto-betting the flop, and then checking behind on the turn, you do encourage you opponent to peel the flop with better hands such as ATo and even QJo.

Having said all that, I think I would probably often just give up on the turn, in this particular case, if I got called on the flop.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:04 AM

With no read,you should not be Iso raising someone with a hand like T9s. With a hand like this, with no showdown value, it is very important to know how this opponent plays postflop. If he is a calling station that never folds postflop, a raise will just put you in a position of bluffing your chips off since T9s misses the flop pretty badly most of the time. The time I would consider raising with this type of hand is when I know my loose opponent will fold alot of flops he misses, and the blinds are tight(meaning they wont interfer with my isoplay very often), against an unknown and no read on the blinds I think you are better off just limping in. In your actual hand I would give up on the turn and check it, He called you on a K54 flop which means he is more likely to have a pair than normal and even if he has a flushdraw you will have to bluff the turn and a non club river and hope he doesnt hit a pair. This is why knowing your opponent is critical bc there are many people on party that will call the flop with no pair and no draw and then fold the turn, if you were up against this type of opponent you should obviously bet the turn, but then again if you knew that your opponent had this tendency it would be incorrect for you to raise preflop to begin with.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:14 AM

I was only trying to answer the question he asked. obviously doesnt seem like the best play to begin with. As far as making a habit of betting the flop then checking the turn I agree that is poor. Although in this situation more bets is just gambling with an unknown opponent. if you are making a habbit of this then you probably have bigger problems.