Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 07:52 PM

Default 50/100 party hand I was sweated on

50/100 party 8 handed at the time. Haven't played much with villain. He's a 16/8/1.2 or so. Don't recall any hands vs him.

I raise K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] utg, he 3 bets in the CO, all fold, i call.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] rainbow, I check/call.

Turn 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I check call

River 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I check, he thinks for 3 seconds and bets, I ?
Old 09-21-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: 50/100 party hand I was sweated on

I personally have no idea. But i'm glad you posted a hand like this, because this exact type of situation is what i feel i'm having a litle trouble adapting to in the 50 game, i never know if they continue to bet worse hands here.

Close one I call. Do you think 9-9 is a decent possiblilty? Would he three bet KQs? Does he check AK behind.

I am wondering now if a fold is better-I call but that might be a leak of mine.

To the muck.
-James
Old 09-21-2005, 08:00 PM

the reason you are unsure of what to do on the river here is because you didnt put in more action on an earlier street to better define his hand.

also preflop: i would guess you will get 3 bet too often in this game, so folding preflop is the strongest play. i think youd be better off raising 87s utg if you feel the need to vary your play, or even just gambool up.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:02 PM

Is there any merit to betting this river?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the reason you are unsure of what to do on the river here is because you didnt put in more action on an earlier street to better define his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Defining his hand will cost just as much as check calling down, and we might not even get to showdown. If we check-raise the flop and get 3 bet, or donk the turn and get raised, we are going to put in a similar amount of money without the possibility of improving o seeing showdown. Thus i'm not sure i agree this is a situation where we need to define his hand as much as we need to give ourselves a chance to improve and by the time the river gets there...play poker!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any merit to betting this river?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, good players will value raise AJ and better usually.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not that unsure, I just think a lot of people misplay this type of hand. I think I put in plenty of money and his betting defined his hand pretty well. The 3 bet, followed by betting every street rules out 99 pretty well, and the only hand I beat is AK and most players with those types of stats aren't good enough or aren't capable of thinking about betting the river with AK and aren't going to very often. His 1.2 aggression makes me think he's not firing it again. I also am almost sure this type of player doesn't 3 bet me there pre-flop with AQ.

I just play so much short-handed I'm used to making mid pair, putting in some action and seeing the showdown, like you talked about. But given this was full table, I was UTG, he was not a monkey, makes the check/call, check/call, check/fold line by far the best IMO. I just didn't want to give it away so early but may as well post my thouhgts I guess.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the checkcall on flop and turn. Checkraise will not necessarily define the other guy's hand and he may even give you misleading info i.e. 3 bet with AK/AQ given the JT combo on the flop which gives him a perceived 10 outs.

Plus, by checkcalling, you got him right where you want him if he has AK i.e. reverse domination.

I am not so crazy about the preflop UTG openraise although in many ways, it's better to raise UTG with KTs instead of KQs given that the open raise presumably causes hands like KJ and KT to fold.

On the river, it's player dependant (and I can't remember his stats from BK's OP). But generally, if you don't know the guy, look him up.