Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Heads up and actually having to play poker

I just moved up to the 33s on Stars and have found an interesting phenomenon. In my small sample (40) I've been getting heads up with blinds at level VI (100/200 no ante) a lot more. At this point stacks are generally between 20 and 50 BBs, with no one just waiting for someone else to bust out.

This means I actually have to play heads up poker as opposed to push/fold poker and I find myself somewhat lost and guessing a lot more than I should. I really just want the blinds to go up so I can be on my home turf (the land of the all-ins).

Aside from playing heads-up tourneys (they are sooo boring), anyone have any advice on learning to play deep stack heads up?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Heads up and actually having to play poker

Been there.

You have to play much more WPT style. Limp trap with big hands. Make plays at pots. Call a preflop raise with T9s. You have to let go of your tight/aggressive game, and get splashy. For example, you'd never dream of checking bottom two pair into an opponent with a two tone flop during the middle of a tournament. But, you're likely going to win much less if you don't. Just mix things up and have fun with it. Call more with draws. Play middle pair like top pair. Etc.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Been there.

You have to play much more WPT style. Limp trap with big hands. Make plays at pots. Call a preflop raise with T9s. You have to let go of your tight/aggressive game, and get splashy. For example, you'd never dream of checking bottom two pair into an opponent with a two tone flop during the middle of a tournament. But, you're likely going to win much less if you don't. Just mix things up and have fun with it. Call more with draws. Play middle pair like top pair. Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

great advice...just wanted to add also...get a feel for your opponent before playing one style or another...see how theyre playing and adjust accordingly (u get the idea). Unlike huge BB to stack ratio HU, this affords you to feel things out.

I would raise PF with top 40-50%...trap, and also watch out for one as well.

Again, just bc the blinds are lower doesnt mean this isnt sort of a crapshoot as well...its often gonna come down to two hands very good hands coinciding and one of them getting the board. But its fun along the way.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I've noticed that I definitely have to become looser preflop, and I believe more passive too. My preflop raises always seem to get called. Now I just kinda randomly throw in raises preflop and randomly bluff at the flop. I rarely go past the turn without anything.

There is definitely a lot of reading involved. But I'm kinda lost as to what my standard raise should be...the stacks are about the same relative to the blinds as level 2-3. I think I have to learn to randomize my raises a lot more than earlier in the game (btwn 2.5-5xbb).

Mostly though, I try to just maintain my stack until the blinds go up without trying exceptionally hard to build it (as I feel like I'm playing at an 8th grade level). Is this a leak? I guess I'll get more comfortable as I get in the situation more.

Thats enough babbling....for now.

Edit: Maybe I'd be better off at Party. (I'm planning to switch but only after I earn enough FPPs on stars so that I can get that chip set...might as well get something out of that crappy pseudo rakeback)