Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 10:07 PM

Default spirit rock hand

25/50 NL UB HU, game just becamse HU i was about to leave. I raise on button to 150 he calls i have AQo, flop is 7c 3 2h, he checks i check. turn is td, he bets $300 I call, river is 6s, he thinks a while and bets $2500.

i think there's a good chance he's bluffing but even if he's bluffing maybe he has a lower pair... oh yeah i could raise all in, that jst occured to me, thoghts? (he only has 2k left behind him thogh)
Old 02-09-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: spirit rock hand

If you think he is bluffing raise the turn.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:11 PM

I'd pass. That looks like he put you squarely on AK, AQ, KQ, and is either suspiciously overbetting a marginal hand he knows is good or doing his trademark overbet w/ the (near) nuts.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:02 AM

This hand can't be responded to intelligently without a good description of the speed at which he has been playing and other such factors.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand can't be responded to intelligently without a good description of the speed at which he has been playing and other such factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those of you who occasionally like to sweat this game know what a valid observation this is. The way SR plays at a full game, shorthanded, and HU, and whether he stuck or not, have a great bearing on the way he plays. And he is at his deadliest very shorthanded and HU, simply because he puts into constant practice the TOP admonition that someone who is always betting can have the best of it, but in a more sophisticated manner by waiting to take action until the turn or river.

He obviously read the poster for high cards that didn't hit and he will often make a continuation bluff on the river if called on the turn. Since he is well known for making overbets with the nuts, he puts maximum pressure on the opponent when he is totally bluffing. Plus being as sophisticated as he is, and sensing nothing other than high cards for his opponent, he in some circumstances would be equally capable of making such an overbet with bottom pair so as to elicit a doubting call from ace high.

I agree with the other poster that the proper turn play was to raise, and a healthy amount too.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:16 AM

if you are gonna play spirit rock heads up you need to be more agressive on the flop. why the hell not bet the pot? doesnt that make things a bit easier?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... i wasn't sure if this hand would be interesting for discussion when i posted it. based on how we've both been playing and all i think there's a good chance he's bluffing. so i guess i'm asking even if i think he's bluffing can i trust my read vs. such a good player in this pot? i figured i would give him respect and not lose a lot of money in a marginal situation vs. a v. good plaer who maybe is thinking a level above me. also, what if he hs a smaller pair, can i call because of that fact or maybe i should raise all in?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:26 PM

You cannot just play your hand against him in these spots. As stupid and Tilt-esque as it sounds, you will have to play the player at times. The only way to play against him is to sometimes re-bluff him in these spots by pushing. I think just calling is bad because he can easily be bluffing with the best hand. Betting the flop does not really help much because this is an easy board for him to call and bluff you on a later street. Basically, he has to know that he can't always just take pots away from you if you don't hit them hard. If you just wait for big hands to do this, you'll get killed. Whether or not this particular hand is the right place to make such a stand is dependent on all sorts of stuff going on in the session.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:51 PM

P. would not normally consider a hand that could beat AQ HU on river a "bluffing hand", so this is either a value bet or a hand worse than AQ -- no in between here.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P. would not normally consider a hand that could beat AQ HU on river a "bluffing hand", so this is either a value bet or a hand worse than AQ -- no in between here.

[/ QUOTE ]
wrong. he is much better than that.