Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 11:46 PM

Default these shorthanded tables confuse me..

ive reduced my roll on the party skins to bonuswhore other sites which means i've been reduced to 1/2 stud and .5/1 hold em (i really hsould be doing .5/1 stud with my roll, but i can't beat it at all) and 1/2 has these weird 6 max tables for stud.

what the?

stud is already (relatively) shorthanded compared to the other games. whats the point of this?

anyway, do you guys make any notable adjustments at the 6max tables in regards to starting hands or no? it certainly can't be as much as hold em, but my winrate at the 6-max tables doesn't seem AS good as at the full8-handed tables.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: these shorthanded tables confuse me..

My experience is very limited, but I did sit at a $1/$2 6-max Stud/8 table this evening. I was looking for any excused to enter a hand and then usually folded to heat on 3rd or blanks on 4th.

When I did have a decent starter that improved on 4th I tried to play as aggressively as I could whilst watching how the cards developed much more than I would at a full table. When I felt that I had the slightest advantage I tried to make the most of it.

Only time will tell how this works out.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:53 AM

there were a couple threads on this mid-late june (the stud/8 one was started by lane mcbride). I suggest you do a search for those as they had some very useful advice
Old 08-04-2005, 12:38 PM

7 card stud HI/LO shorthanded strategy?

Can someone review this to see if a link should be included in the FAQ?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:49 PM

You really wouldn't hurt yourself by sticking to your normal ring game.. There is less in the pot to start with so its not essential that you play looser like you would in hold'em... The only adjustments I make is play more medium pairs a like 7s-9s.. In general drawing hands such as flushes/straights decrease in value when shorthanded since there are fewer multi-way pots.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:36 PM

If the game is "full" or 6 handed, definitely basically stick to your usual game plan. I don't know about the lower limits, but 20/40 basically always has a seat open and 2 players sitting out, and I don't adjust much. Just be willing to semi-steal of course, but as always this depends on the number of players behind you and their doorcards, not how many players were dealt in total. Of course if anything you want to steal a little less based on less ante to win, but you'll still overall find the importance of stealing to go up a little bit just because you'll have more hands where it's folded to you etc.