Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: 50-100NL UB Hand

i love these types of posts...

please continue to post huge NL hands, especially ones that have some strategy to it.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about getting it allin on the flop somehow, but quickly decided against it with such deep stacks at nearly 400xBB, if I still had my original 10K I would gladly get it allin and gamboool.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but if you pot the flop, he repots, a shove isn't that out of line. If you'd like to play some sets/other strong hands as such this is a really good hand to cover with.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:23 PM

If it matters the opponent in this hand was 'Thuritz' and the game included 'Mahatma' so you can imagine the game was aggressive and bluffing was frequent, rarely did a pot get checked past the flop, much less all the way down, if you guys are interested I can post a couple more hands from the session. They aren't as interesting or nearly as big, but could bring up some discussion, as I am a frequent lurker, and are fairly unorthodox as per the norm around here.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:36 PM

I'm pretty sure everyone on the board would be eager to hear and think about interesting sky high stakes hands. Post away please.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:40 PM

I actually watched this hand. From the little Ive seen of Thuritz' play, I agree with what you said, he really looks to have a real big hand with that turn bet. Initially, the thing that surprised me about the hand was your river push. I just couldn't see him calling with a worse hand, but evidently you and others disagree. He would only be beating a bluff and have to really believe you would bluff at a card (which intuitively shouldnt be scary if youre calling a reraise) for 250 BBs. Also, why were you open pushing on any diamond river? B/c you're not really sure where you are/which of your outs are clean, or if you'll get paid off if you hit, I think folding the turn is warranted. Of course, Ive seen the hand so don't mind me.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:49 PM

from what i've seen of thuritz he is one of the best players in the game and is fairly tight compared to others. he also never loses a big pot without 2 pair or better. i wouldnt expect a call from an overpair if you make your hand.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:56 PM

i like it.
the only hand you can play this way and have him beat is the exact hand you have...so its hard for him to get away.
no way you play two pair/set this way, so it looks much more like a busted flush draw then anything.

of course if you've been calling big raises w/ ace rag off then he might give you credit for the ace of diamonds and an 8 kicker.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:17 PM

I agree Thuritz is one of the best players in that game, in fact I seemed to have a much tougher time playing him than Mahatma. I played both of them HU off and on during the session. I don't think he is tight, in fact I think he is quite loose, especially short-handed of course.

Earlier I saw him pay Mahatma off in a nice pot with 99 on K35Ax board, so he is capable of making a call with a subpar hand, but thinking twice about this, he may make a big fold in such a big pot (or be more tempted to make a crying call because the pot is so big?) But anyways I am going to need to play more hands vs him and others to get a defined read, but I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, I rarely have time to play this game, but will post some hands tomorrow, as well as hands in the future.
-Zing
Old 08-29-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the call to be bad, I guess you're assuming his diamond outs are no good? He seemed to think they might be live.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did, from the bet sizes. I think it's a decent read, but in these scenarios we always think our flushes are outs, whether or not it is true. We want ourselves to have more outs and be able to call. In reality, a diamond might cause hero to go broke and is unlikely to get him paid; those are negative outs in my book.

Let's say hero's up against black AA. He's got 8 diamonds, 3 5s, 3 9s, and 2 8s to improve. 16 outs. So he's ~2:1 to improve. He's getting 2:1 to call, so a call can be no worse than EV-neutral if opponent has no diamond.

If opponent has a diamond, then 15 cards improve hero. 6/15 of those cards make hero broke.

At best, a very thin call, especially since opponent may not pay hero off if hero improves.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:42 PM

really like the river play.

what does anyone think about cr'ing all in on the turn? it really looks like this guy is trying to protect his hand, and i think there's a good chance hero could push villain off of a better hand. especially if hero would do this w/ other hands such as flopped flushes or sets.

even if called, it is very likely that hero has a good number of outs.