Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Showing One Card in an Uncalled Hand

What do folks think of showing 1 card when everyone folds to you before showdown? I tried this once in a live tournament and it worked well. I'd gotten a bit shortstacked, had gone all-in a couple times and picked up the blinds...one hand I had A9 the other 44. In each respective hand, I showed only the 9 and one of the 4's. Folks thought I was stealing with complete crap. Went through the blinds and when I got on the button I got the dream, AA. Went all-in and had 2 players BEAT me into the pot. Alas, one caught trips and I was done, but it still got the result I wanted.

I read another post where folks think that showing just 1 card is a punk move, so to speak. I'm not sure, if the reason for doing it is a legit tactical part of the game and not simply to taunt the other players.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:56 PM

Default in my case...

I just show my hand because in tournaments i dont want showdowns. THey usually can out draw you. When you're out of chips, you make no cash. So showing them 1 card usually works against me.

As for when its done against me, its usually more of a tell that he's strong. Otherwise why would he hide the other card? if he really wanted to brag that he bluffed, he would have shown the whole hand.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Showing One Card in an Uncalled Hand

I'm fine with it, if the hand does not go to showdown. On showdown, you should show both cards.

I don't agree with your strategy, however. As a short stack your moves get equity from two sources: first if everyone folds, and second when you get called and your hand holds up. It's not very often you get monsters like AA preflop, so most the hands you get will not have a huge amount of equity in the second category. To me, it seems your best chances as a short stack is to keep your equity in the first category higher, not lower.

My 2 cents anyways,

The Wolf