Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Pretournament mental preparation

What do you guys do to get mentally ready for a tournament? Responses could include physical activities (i.e. working out), poker studying (like reading HoH), or any kind of other mental exercise (like meditation)?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Pretournament mental preparation

I can't say I have any sort of routine, but the last time I masturbated right before I went to my regular tourney I played horribly. I'll never do that again.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:53 AM

ROFL
Old 12-06-2005, 01:02 PM

Not much. Maybe just saying something like, "Let's go out and win today" to myself a couple of time. As long as I'm relaxed and positive, I'm not worried. I played in a live tourney on Sunday that I placed 5th and in the money. I remember saying the positive statement, and that was it. Other than having my iPod on hand in case I needed to hear a particular song(which I did twice), I really didn't do much else.

But...as my old football coach used to say, do whatever you need to do to get yourself ready to play. If yoga or meditation works, then do it. If watching a certain movie or listening to a certain song works, do it. Wear your lucky shirt, play with shades, or don't...but whatever it is, do it if it will put you in the best frame of mind to play.