Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:34 PM

Default 3/6 turn play - was I a donk for pushing a draw?

3/6nl on Tribeca. Villain has 400 and I cover.

EP donk makes it $20, and after 3 callers, I call in CO with 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villain calls on button, and 5 of us see a flop of:

2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot around $100)

Checked round to me, and I bet $96. Button calls, and everyone else folds. Button is a bit ABC, and probably views me as aggressive. Turn is a brick, and pot around 300. He has 300-ish left, and I set him in.

Preflop play aside, any comments? My thinking was, that given his probable view of me, he wouldn't flat call on a flop like that with a set or overpair. I could get a higher flush draw to fold, and have outs if I'm called. Obviously I'd have scooshed it all in on the flop given a chance, but was the all-in on the turn a bad play?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: 3/6 turn play - was I a donk for pushing a draw?

its fine.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:40 PM

Given how u played the flop, the turn push is fine. However, I think betting the flop was bad. Since it was 5 handed, you are not going to get everyone to fold. Either hope for a free card or check raise all-in if the button bets. The ideal situation is if the button makes a ghey-bet, one or two other people call, and you can push with a huge draw and a lot of dead money.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking was, that given his probable view of me, he wouldn't flat call on a flop like that with a set or overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the play, but I disagree with this reasoning.
I will flat call if I had a set here when I expect the aggressive player to bet into me again on the turn.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:45 PM

gotta push turn
Old 11-30-2005, 06:57 PM

Yeah, betting the flop sucks cause usually one person will call you. I'd much rather be the one going all in on the flop, it won't usually happen if you bet it here. Either check and hit your draw on the turn or CR button's bet.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-30-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given how u played the flop, the turn push is fine. However, I think betting the flop was bad. Since it was 5 handed, you are not going to get everyone to fold. Either hope for a free card or check raise all-in if the button bets. The ideal situation is if the button makes a ghey-bet, one or two other people call, and you can push with a huge draw and a lot of dead money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will frequently pick up the pot on the flop because this is not a board that hits many hands very hard, the preflop raiser checked (no overpair there), and you show a lot of strength to bet into so many opponents. Furthermore, you have an advantage in pot equity against anything but a set, and the ability to take a free card on the turn against an opponent that has some sort of a hand is much more valuable than taking a free card on the flop and then facing a bet on the turn when you no longer have a pot equity advantage, and you don't know if your opponent has enough of a hand to pay you off if you hit.

I don't understand why you would try to checkraise the button on the flop; that line looks horribly suspicious and is not going to be very effective as a bluff. All your outs would still make it +EV, but I can't see how it would end up being better than simply betting in the first place.