Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: How do you convince idiots their blind structure is retarded?

My home tourney games are designed to play two times in a four hour period. They start w/T2500 or T2000 with blinds starting at 25/50, increasing every 15 minutes by 50 up to 200, at which point they jump by 100, again at 15 minute interveals, until somebody wins. Occasionally, if it is late in the second tourney, blinds will increase every 10 minutes. The first game usually ends with the top two chopping the prize pool, so as to start playing again for all of those who are waiting. The second tourney is almost always played to a finish.

Even at this structure, T2000 or T2500 is not a deep stack and the blind increases force you to make moves much sooner than you'd like. But these games are beatable. The same people seem to win on a semi-regular basis.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:05 PM

I played in one of these last nite. Its safe to say i will never be back. At one point we were down to 10 people and only 3 of us could post the big blind and we were only 1:45 minutes into the tourney !

I know the guy who ran it had to be pissed with all the comments about how bad his home game was.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:20 PM

I relooked at my setup and I added a 25-25 level and another grand to the starting chips (T2200), which should work out fairly well. I'll give it a trial this next weekend, and if need be, I will modify it after this weekend.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that is fairly similar to what I go with. I am changing to T1200 (8 X 25, 5 X 100, 1 X 500) and blinds of 25-50, 50-100, 75-150, 100-200, 150-300, 200-400, 300-600, 400-800, 500-1K, 600-1.2k, 700-1.4k, 1k-2k and SB going up 1K each after, each level 20 min)

[/ QUOTE ]

worst. blind. structure. ever.

it's good how, in the second round of blinds, you have 10% of your stack in the BB

use AT LEAST 2500 (preferably 5000) starting chips and this is a good schedule
Old 11-27-2005, 06:12 PM

I've played a pub game where the buy-in is $25, we get T10,000 and the blinds start at 25/50 and double every 25 minutes a few times.

First time, I placed second (Close to $200), second time I split for 1st (Close to $300), 3rd time I got to the final table with a decent chip stack but lost out on a run of horrid cards compounded by extreme fatigue.

The structure is great, the players are horrible, but in some ways it's run abysmally and I don't like to play there very often.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lately, I have been going around and playing some other people's games around where I live. Now, these are your "I learned everything I know about poker from watching the WSOP" crowd. How do I tell them that starting with ~2500 (they like to have LOTS of chips, and play with stupid mid-denoms like 50 chips) and blinds starting at 25-50 and doubling every 20 minutes is a bad idea. Am I a dick for thinking that having to wager half of your starting stack every round less than 2 hours in is close to the dumbest thing ever? My thoughts are that I should probably just stop playing any of these games, as it just becomes one big crapshoot. If I do keep playing them, is there any way to actually beat them?

[/ QUOTE ]

To begin with you don't convince anyone of anything by calling them idiots and using words like retarded.

If you have a better tournament structure, hold your own home game and invite them to play with your structure. If they like it better they will keep using it.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:31 PM

What link? I was copying and pasting from Word documents.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:00 PM

Aren't the pertinent questions "what type of a game does one want?" and "about how long should it last?"

1st question includes: how many players? how should end game be played? Should the game favor aggression, tightness or luck? and perhaps a few more.

How many players is important because you need your average stack to maintain the desired number of big blinds as people get eliminated (this does not have to be stagnant.)

How should endgame be played is important if you have 2 tables or more (since a small step into a one table game is endgame). This is where it might be worth it to make the average number of big blinds per stack bigger (which favors aggresion) or the number of big blinds smaller (whcih favors tightness) or to make the game played the same.

Also, there are three normal ways that the blinds can go up: time intervals, player elimination, and hands played. A mixture of these could be used too.

Think about the desired results, then design the game structure around it. Much easier that way than just picking out some other person's structure and seeing if you happen to like it.

As for how to convince idiots their blind structure is retarted: Tell him that You don't like the blind structure's results, explain to said idiot how the blind structure dictates these reslults and if said idiot says he likes his retarded blind structure because it is fun and favors idiots, he may not be as dumb as you think he is.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do I tell them that starting with ~2500 (they like to have LOTS of chips, and play with stupid mid-denoms like 50 chips) and blinds starting at 25-50 and doubling every 20 minutes is a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that a bad idea? It's similar to the structure of a game that I crush, except that we start with T5000. Nobody there knows how to play after the flop which makes it insanely easy for the few of us who do.

Learn to play postflop and you'll love the deeper stacks
Old 11-29-2005, 11:57 AM

learn to deal with different circumstances. Treat it as short-stack training