Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-29-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Question For Atheists

[ QUOTE ]
a box by definition exists to contain something.

[/ QUOTE ]

different dictionaries I 'spose. I have some squares of plastic, I glue them together to show my girlfriend what a cube is. Discovering I'm one side short I leave it on the coffee table. Mom comes along and says, " get this, this, this , thing.. off my table !!" She'd have called it a box but it wasn't made to contain anything.

You may see some similarity to the thought of others who see something that looks like it has a specific purpose and deduce that therefore it does.

luckyme,
if I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind
Old 10-29-2005, 09:04 PM

Hi luckyme,

Agreed with the cube/rather than the box, but then... the theist would say it contains $100 and the atheist would probably not, if it was justa cube left on a table! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The point I was making is that if in your analogy you imply a purpose, then of couse, the conclusion will be different... if in your analogy you imply a designer then again the conclusion may be different.

So I'll stay with a rock is simply a rock, a human being is simply a human being, and the designer, if it exists at all, is not intelligent, hence not godly.

Give me some evidence, and whatever I think (believe), I will change my mind.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:41 AM

"And is it higher and higher dimensional high school students all the way down?"

Suppose there is a "circle" rather than a "line".
Old 10-30-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"And is it higher and higher dimensional high school students all the way down?"

Suppose there is a "circle" rather than a "line".

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're trippin me out....hey, don't bogart that J.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you still call yourself an athiest if you think that it is quite possible that our universe was created by a non omnipotent being from another dimension.

[/ QUOTE ]

Atheists claim/think it is rather unlikely (impossible) that some omni-potent creature is ruling the universe. That doesn't say anything about non-omnipotent creatures.

It all depends on the definition of god I guess. If god stands for an omnipotent creature (and I assume it does), then one can still be an atheist.

It's like in the Wizard of Oz. The fake image was what people accepted as "the wizard". The guy behind the curtain who was really responsible for all of the "miracles", was just a "cheater".
Old 10-30-2005, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you still call yourself an athiest if you think that it is quite possible that our universe was created by a non omnipotent being from another dimension.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. I define Atheism as 'living without a belief in any supernatural entity, being, or power.'

A non-omnipotent sixth dimensional being doesn't fall into that category. I believe it was Kaku who demonstrated that it is physically possible for up to 10 dimensions to exist within our universe so such an entity is not outside the realm of natural existence.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And is it higher and higher dimensional high school students all the way down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does God have a God? If so, would UberGod consider TinyGod's creations to be part of his (UberGod) own creation?

If we created the Matrix, would any God accept those "conscious" beings as his own children? Would they be able to get into heaven?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. Or an omnipotent being, for that matter.

I'm an atheist because I don't worship any gods. ("A" = without; "theos" = gods.) I happen to believe that no gods exist, but even if I thought a few did exist, I wouldn't worship them. Worship is morally irresponsible. So I'd still be an atheist.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:52 AM

I can accept the possibility that the Christian God exists, and still be an atheist. Not a "hard" atheist, but still an atheist.

If I knew that an extra-dimensional non-god being created our universe, then I would be an atheist.... unless the phrase "extra-dimensional non-god being" is self-contradictory according to your defintion of "god". To me, it's not.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm an atheist because I don't worship any gods. ("A" = without; "theos" = gods.) I happen to believe that no gods exist, but even if I thought a few possibly did exist, I wouldn't worship them. Worship is morally irresponsible. So I'd still be an atheist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I feel even more strongly about this. I think it is an odious and abject concept, the existence of a god. And assuming there was one, the only human moral position vis-a-vis it, would be to oppose it, in my opinion.