Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 05:32 PM

Default The money or the seat?

Well, I finally (I think I've dropped about $150-200 on various wsop and weekly guaranteed satelites over the last two months) managed to win a seat to the Stars 500K this Sunday - mostly thanks to hitting an allin two outer with about 10 people to the bubble [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

The $T traders leapt into action as soon as the final card was dealt, offering us all money. Until that point I was sure I would be playing on Sunday. But, money is money, and I was tempted.

What's the standard of play like at Stars' big weekly tournaments?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: The money or the seat?

You can unregister and use the T$ to buy into smaller buy in events. If you dont want to play the larger event, thats what I"d do. If you want to sell the T$, I"ll pay $200.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:36 PM

Were we in the same tournament? Pretty sure there was a guy with a screenname something like Southern.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure now that I'll just play even if it's the toughest tournament in the world (which it isn't, right guys) - I didn't buy into a $250 CDN live tournament on my birthday because I was too tight for cash, so we'll just call this one a belated birthday present (and hope I go all the way - justifying my decision.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:19 PM

A bird in the hand .....

What is your skill level and what do you think your chances are?

Maybe unregistering and playing "other" tournys is the way to go

ONLY YOU CAN MAKE THAT CALL!!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:59 PM

I'm a decent multi player. Definately not great, but good enough to place in more than my randomly expected share (including a lot more final tables than I'd be randomly expected to make). I've only ever played up to $30 buyins though.

I am pretty sure I won't be dead money this Sunday, but my impression is that there will also be less dead money for me to benefit from.

Maybe Bob has the right idea, and I should play $215 worth of smaller tournaments so I hopefully get the best of both worlds - hopefully winning some cash and getting plenty of tournament action. If I win a satelite using my $T, I'll take the damn seat and stop being a big wuss.

That said, he did say it wasn't that much stronger competition, and I'm not doing anything else this Sunday... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, but what about if there are ten birds in the bush and I've got 20 birds at home?

My BR is closing on 4K which is 400BB at the highest limit I play, usually I'm at 3/6 or even 2/4. It's plenty big at the moment, and I've made all the withdrawals I need for a month or two so the $200 I could get for a sale isn't as significant as it would have been a couple months ago. It's still $200 though.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:29 PM

Well, I just won another seat (after un regging to use the $T for smaller events). This has got to be a sign, right?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I just won another seat (after un regging to use the $T for smaller events). This has got to be a sign, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

...yea, you're good at satelites! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 01:04 AM

Hey, it's a valid skill.

Maybe I can win another one this week. Then I'll defnately feel OK taking my shot.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:33 PM

FYI - you don't have to 'sell' the seat.
you can just unregister from the tourney and you will have 215T$. This is money that you can use on ANY tournament however you like.

I almost always unregister from the bigger event when I win one of these satellites.
I have almost $2000 in T$ in my account currently.

So immediately selling the seat is not your only option.
you can unregister from it and just use it for the following week's $500k guaranteed.

Or you can use the $215 in T$ to play in 20 more satellites or a ton of 5+0.50 SNG's.

whatever you like.

However, the competition in the bigger event is probably better than the satellite competion...but not THAT much stronger. Plenty of bad players to be found.

you should also be aware that those tournaments are quite long (assuming you make it through the 1500-2000 players or so and make it to the final-table...which I think we all already knew is a 'given' anyway).