Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Unorthodox or expert?

10/20 sixmax.

James has 3h3d in the sb.

UTG open limps, UTG+1 limps, Button raises, I call, BB folds, everyone else just calls.

Flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Checked to the pfr who bets, I raise, one cold caller, PFR calls.

Turn is a 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, cold caller thinks and mucks, PFR calls.

River is the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I check.

Comments?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Unorthodox or expert?

If you are checking with the intent of calling, I like it. When the pfr didn't pop you back on the turn, this makes me think he has overcards and not a made hand. Maybe, he'll take one last shot at the pot and you'll extract one last bet.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:14 PM

yuk

its neither unorthodox or expert - its bad

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 06-15-2004, 08:33 PM

I assume you played this line with a read on your opponents especially the PF raiser. With that said you have to bet the river and pray for 88 or JTs to fold. You will not be lucky enough times to check call/check check and win here vs some unimproved hand, and if that is the case you win 1 more bet in the check check scenario. My advice is when you start a line like this keep betting no matter what inexperienced players will make big river laydowns and this can only happen if you BET.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:55 PM

By unorthodox I meant bad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2004, 09:18 PM

I don't think it's that ugly.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:51 PM

Yeah I didn't think it was that ugly either. It's unlikely anyone has a ten, and the button could very well be betting overcards. And now I've mdae it pretty uncomfortable for anyone to call with middle pair. Also, this is definitely not my routine line for this hand, it was more of an experiment.
-James
Old 06-15-2004, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's that ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugly is perhaps a different consideration

i think i know roughly whats going through james's head when he did this and i suspect that at one level its expert thought - it may sound a bit too deep but i think really good players evolve - that is to say they consciously or not experiment - they see an opportunity (and thats the bit that gives them potential to be really good at the game) and they take it sometimes failing to put all the pieces into a bigger perspective

you learn best from experience - its terribly valueable to know something is bad because youve done it before and learnt its wrong - this line smacks of arrogance - the best card players i know are typically outrageously arrogant - fine line though between arrogant and stupid

those nice things being said its not possible to call a raise in the SB with 33 (with this blind structure) even with this many runners and turn it into a long term winner in my view - its probably a bit close against some opponents but as a hand in a vacuum i dont reckon its a winner - post flop to then push a piece of crap hand like 33 from the front against a bunch of horrid habitual callers who will not be pushed off a better hand (AKA the default party 10/20 6 max player) is long term just pushing too hard

i used to have a bridge partner who when he first started played bridge in a ridiculously arrogant fashion - despite the fact that we were on the same team i always hoped his forays into wild aggression would go bad because i figured he would learn quicker

hope you got nailed james

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 06-15-2004, 10:16 PM

After nobody seems to give a damn about your flop CR, I think you should be done putting money in this pot unless a 3 pops up. It was a risky move that didn't work, betting the turn just makes it worse.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:39 PM

I am happy to hear that a more knowledgable player than me thinks calling a raise in the SB with 33 will lose money.