Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 12:36 AM

Default audiobooks

what do you guys think about audiobooks?

for those who've used them do you find the experience better or worse than actual reading? (in terms of enjoyability and understanding the text)
Old 10-04-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: audiobooks

Useful for long driving trips, but that's pretty much it. You have to concentrate or you won't understand (for me at least). It sucks having to rewind if you miss a portion. I also read very fast, so it takes a lot longer to listen. Reading is far superior.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Useful for long driving trips, but that's pretty much it. You have to concentrate or you won't understand (for me at least). It sucks having to rewind if you miss a portion. Reading is far superior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sums up my experience. I tried downloading and listening to some while I play poker or just while relaxing and in both circumstances I found I was unable to concentrate enough on the material to make it rewarding. On a very long road trip with lots of long desolate highway time, they are really nice.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:26 AM

Along with lond road trips, I could see audiobooks being good for running/jogging/walking/etc.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:46 AM

When i had Lasik i downloaded a bunch of audiobooks to listen to, some of them were great (The Hobbit) others were very difficult to follow. I think its really dependent on the material and the reader.

Also make sure to get unabbridged versions, not much point in listening to the shortened versions.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:50 AM

Good for work, if you can stand the mutlitasking.

Comedies work quite well (like mp3 rips of Cheers, say), cos you can just stop em if you need to concentrate hard for a bit, and start again without losing the plot.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:56 AM

At my last job we had to read The Da Vinci Code for research on a project so they got us the audio books and played them while we worked. After rewinding the first 2 pages of the first chapter 5 times I gave up. I think you pretty much have to be doing nothing or be good at "multitasking" to get anything out of it.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:07 AM

I listen to music so much playing poker I need a change of pace in the car. I always have one ready to go, and while I'm driving I hardly ever lose track.

If you are going to do it listen to stories that are easy to follow. I just listened to the Shining...good, I thought...and right now I'm in the middle of Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.

I find when I get into the stories I do not mind being in the car at all, and it makes drivin ten times easier/seemingly faster.

Of course, I'm also a dork.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:28 AM

I have a tough time falling asleep at night (or early in the morning, usually). I like d'loading/listening to audiobooks as a way to relax at night. For me, actual reading doesn't help me sleep (using my eyes, brain, lights are on, etc.)...but listening to audiobooks is great. I'm up for a little while listening, and after a while, it just helps me fade away. Good stuff.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:06 AM

i have trouble getting to sleep also.

one thing i tried was listening to digital white noise, which is just like radio static.

some sites sell CDs of "professionally made digital white noise" which is just a horrible scam.

thankfully they let you download a 10 second clip of it, so you can create an MP3 file of whatever length you want out of that one clip.

Contrary to what I expected it actually makes falling asleep a lot easier.

as for audio books, i'm not a huge fan of them for any occasion. i'd rather listen to a good concept album.