Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Need advice (No sh content)

Sounds like you want to play in it. So go do it. I advised another friend who wanted to play in the WSOP similarly. It really sounds like losing 10k won't be something that you'll lose a ton of sleep over if that happens and you'll be sufficiently bankrolled to keep making a ton of money playing 10/20.

But I understand that you don't want to do it if what you're really doing is just throwing money away. As for the EV here, it all depends on your live, NL, and tourney experience. If you've played a fair amount live and have some tourney/NL experience, I'd guess that your expectation here would be close to breakeven.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:46 PM

Hey Nick,

I've been thinking along these lines recently as well, except for online tournaments. Currently, I'm only comfortable losing about 4% of my roll on any given night/tournament, but have been thinking about loosening that up a bit.

I guess it depends on your long-term goals with respect to two things: your lifestyle and your poker playing. Since your bankroll is investment money like a 401K plan, you should consider if that 10K could better be spent getting you out of debt or paying bills. If 10K isn't that big for you, then it comes to the poker playing goals. As you've said playing 10/20 is fine for you for the foreseeable future. Sounds like you'll have enough left over to accomplish that.

So, if the 10K isn't needed elsewhere in your life, go for it. Don't think of it as entertainment costs. Think of it as an investment (albeit risky since luck plays such a large factor in success on any given day).
Old 07-09-2004, 04:50 PM

It appears that my withdrawal from Neteller to my bank will not clear until Monday (I was hoping it was going to be today). I am guessing that the tournament will be filled by then (there were still 20 spots open when I called last night). Oh well, I am sure I can find another use for the 10k. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh well, I am sure I can find another use for the 10k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure Nick, stake me for the $30-$60 party game and we do very well together. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

blubster
Old 07-09-2004, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh well, I am sure I can find another use for the 10k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donate the 10k to Schneids' faltering goal [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] , which would therefore give him more motivation to do a 50 hour job the next 6 days and try to reach 60k for the most miraculous comeback since the Bills-Oilers early 90's playoff game. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2004, 08:16 PM

Rats. I just finished figuring out what .1% of a $million was too. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2004, 09:12 PM

WCOOP ONLY $2500
Old 07-10-2004, 11:17 AM

Change of plans and I'm in. It should be a learning experience and hopefully I will do well. If this is run like the Plaza tournament and the second day is run 6 handed, that should help me out a little. Of course that is if I make it to day 2.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Change of plans and I'm in. It should be a learning experience and hopefully I will do well. If this is run like the Plaza tournament and the second day is run 6 handed, that should help me out a little. Of course that is if I make it to day 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Nick good luck in the tourney you'll have to let us know how it goes!
Old 07-10-2004, 01:29 PM

nice. good luck dude.