Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Flopped the Nuts- Help Me Build a Pot

From today's $10 deep stacks tournament. It's the first time I've ever played this tourney, so while I have some cash game experience, I'm somewhat new to deep play. Here's the hand:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) converter

MP1 (t11280)
MP2 (t42686)
MP3 (t93000)
CO (t39900)
Button (t14721)
SB (t46875)
Hero (t65582)
UTG (t34068)
UTG+1 (t114933)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t1200, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t5000</font>, CO calls t3400, SB folds.

Flop: (t11550) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t3000</font>, CO calls t3000.

Turn: (t17550) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t6400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t20000</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: t43950

I felt like a pocket pair was his most likely holding, so I was trying to think about how to get the most out of that hand. I think if he's got KK the money probably goes all in no matter what. A good player could maybe get away from AQ, given the line I took here, but on the whole I felt like the weak lead and turn check would be the best way to get bleed a hand like TT.

All good? Is there a better way to build a pot here?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Flopped the Nuts- Help Me Build a Pot

This was fine until you CR'd the turn. There's no cards in the deck left for him to have hit, so only a real donkey is going to call it. Call and weak lead the river.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:29 PM

I would either flat call the turn bet or min-raise. He's got half his stack in with the turn bet, so you should be able to squeeze more value out of the river than by putting him to a pot-committing decision here.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was fine until you CR'd the turn. There's no cards in the deck left for him to have hit, so only a real donkey is going to call it. Call and weak lead the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. What would be a weak lead? There would be ~20K in the pot if I check-call the turn, lead for like 6K? If my hasty math is right, he could call and still have a little less than 20K in his stack, or about 25BB's.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would either flat call the turn bet or min-raise. He's got half his stack in with the turn bet, so you should be able to squeeze more value out of the river than by putting him to a pot-committing decision here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you at my table, Salty? This is a long shot, but I saw your location, and there is a guy at the table whose image is a slime from Dragon Warrior....
Old 11-27-2005, 06:40 PM

Nope, I'm on party right now.

edit: my location is a reference to a Frank Zappa song
Old 11-27-2005, 06:41 PM

I would call the turn bet, the pot is then going to be like 30K. I would bet 8-12K on the river, hope that he makes a crying call with a pocketpair.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:14 PM

I think this board is soo scary that any raise and CO correctly put you on better hand..So, (1) call turn and lead river (1/3 pot?), or (2) small raise on turn (make it 10k?). I like option 1 the best.

Brian
Old 11-27-2005, 11:21 PM

Seems reasonable. Lead 6-10k, whatever the most you think he's willing to call. You popped the turn way too hard. You might have been able to get away with a check-minraise on the turn and then a small bet on the river.

You reraised PF and lead the flop on a very scary board, so the fact that he was willing to CR means that he has to be a total donk or has a hand like TT-QQ, KQ, AQ that he doesn't want to get away from. I think you're going to see JJ/QQ/AQ/KQ most of the time here. You could have bled at least another 5-10k out of him with a little less aggressiveness.