Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 08:27 AM

Default Micro tourney decision - all-in post flop - call or fold.

For some reason, I found this to be a very difficult decision to make. I really have no reads on the player in question except to say this was not a move I normally saw him play - nothing about him struck me out of the ordinary. I didn't even PokerDB him [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t3525)
MP3 (t4235)
CO (t2433)
Button (t4865)
SB (t2465)
BB (t1225)
UTG (t3166)
UTG+1 (t1070)
MP1 (t6136)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t100, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t100, MP3 calls t100, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t500) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t3066 (All-In)</font>, Hero ????????

Discussion -

1. - This is a micro table tourney. How would this affect your decision to call or fold and would it be different then in the $215 tourney?

2. - You're average in chips, but you found out that this is one of Pokerstars new 20% tourneys. Would this affect your decision at all or would you just play it like a 10%'er.

This is something I've seen a lot of on Pokerstars now in the lower limit tourneys, BTW - I'd like to get Exitonly's opinion on that, maybe as a secondary to the thread.

Discuss - results to follow...

RB
Old 11-27-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Micro tourney decision - all-in post flop - call or fold.

hero curses and folds..
you dont have any $ in this pot relative to this bet.
the flop is very coordinated and therefore scary here.
I havent' run through every possible hand he could have, but I'm not sure there are many where you are a favorite KK, AQ, KQ, etc crush you....there are lots of outs for other hands..

My overriding concern is to not to get commited here. Fold, and watch what this guy does in subsequent rounds..

Brian
Old 11-27-2005, 10:36 AM

In a minbuy this range is HUGE...anything from a flush draw to an OESD to TPTK. These are the decisions that TPFAP helped make a LOT easier. It looks to me like you are barely ahead of some of his range to completely dominated by the rest of it (im ruling out bluffs here). Im just a donkey still but i fold this easily, knowing i got to see a cheap flop with a hand i would normally fold.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:44 AM

Hero makes a face and folds. This smells like a draw but you're only in for your BB and it's not worth risking your stack.

In a 215 you'd scratch your head, wonder where this donkey got $215 and fold.

The 20% prize structure is not a consideration.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In a 215 you'd scratch your head, wonder where this donkey got $215 and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

now THAT's funny
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2005, 10:59 AM

ROFL
Old 11-27-2005, 11:33 AM

I think post flop situations like this are why it behooves you to fold this PF. I'm fine open raising this hand in LP, but when you have a bunch of limpers you have zero clue where you stand or if your hand is good or not. You have exactly one limp invested in the pot...throw it away (it also would be really bad if MP3 woke up w/77 behind you)
Old 11-28-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Results

I'm surprised at the responses so far...

I think you're giving too much credit to the skill of the player, actually. This is a $1 tourney - (which I am limiting myself to right now to rebuild the BR - LOL)

I've seen some horrendous stuff on here - I'm so often going all-in with monsters KNOWING I'll get a call - but I wouldn't give that guy nearly enough credit.

I thought his play was exactly what it looked like - a medium hand/draw that he didn't want called - I thought he was trying to buy the pot - I called

He had Q6 offsuit and neither the turn nor river helped.

Had it been a tournament of moderate buy-in, I might have taken this advice, but in the $1 I went with what my surface read told me.

Interesting how no one wants to call it, not even in a $1 tourney. This post did not go the direction I expected it to.

RB
Old 11-28-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Results

The key to your responses wasn't becasue it was a minbuy and wasn't becasue he pushed, it was becasue of his RANGE of pushing hands there. We all understood it was a dollar and that it was a donkeypush postflop, but your TPNK there is not dominating another players TP often enough. The advice you received was based on the theory that you are the better player and that you can find a MUCH less questionable hand to push with later in the tourney. If you believe that you are not that good right now and won't find that edge...then your call was right.

Do you have pokerstove?? Run the hand through there with your opponents range being any Q, and any st8 or flush draw and see if you have that big of an edge with your QJ.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Results

I'd also count middle pair and any pair between that and the Q as possible hands - I really put him on the flush draw - it's what I would do with a flush draw - go all in cause I'm gonna see the river anyways, and then if they lay it down, you win.

I went by my read of the bet rather then the read of the player or the situation - maybe it was wrong...

I honestly didn't expect to see him have top pair, and any kicker better then mine gets a raise preflop, so that's where that went.

RB