Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: AA, What do you think about this

agreed, the action, not being converted by position, is a little confusing.

Maybe my recommendations were off based on the fact that I don't quite understand who's doing the raising and such.

I thought 2 people were going back and forth raising and hero was calling 3 cold with AA.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
agreed, the action, not being converted by position, is a little confusing.

Maybe my recommendations were off based on the fact that I don't quite understand who's doing the raising and such.

I thought 2 people were going back and forth raising and hero was calling 3 cold with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold, Fold, MP raises, Fold, Cutoff 3 bets, Hero calls with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button, SB folds, BB folds, MP calls.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP checks, cutoff bets, Hero calls, MP calls

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP checks, cutoff bets, Hero raises, MP calls, cutoff 3 bets, Hero caps, MP calls.

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP bets, cutoff folds, I cry and call
Old 11-07-2005, 06:00 PM

what is your reasoning for just coldcalling with aces?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This pot was 20BB's, the other way it gets to maybe 14 or 16. I want to punish the person with and king's and the person on the draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
As another person pointed out, I think you're being results oriented.
- roughly 1/3 of the cards in the deck are going to ruin your action or leave you behind on the turn.
- you don't know that the MP is going to stick around for bets on the turn, since he could be correctly peeling with as little as 4 outs.
- You don't know that the CO has a big pair. A PF 3-bet could be AK or AQ and he may end up folding to a bet or raise on the turn.
- If the CO does have a big pair, then they're going to 3-bet you on the flop. In that case, you can call and hope to raise the turn which will put an extra 3BBs in the pot over the line you took.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:00 PM

What information do you want to transmit? If he four bets, a player with another high pair will give less action later on. If three betting will not eliminate the blinds as well as reraising, then by all means reraise, but a far as table dynamics, we ought to be deferential to OP.

If you always 3bet/4bet with AA (or KK, etc.) then opponents will know you do not have them when you call, which can be dangerous. At 3/6 there are enough thinking players at a given table that if you remain for an appreciable amount of time, you will need to be concerned with the information you provide (especially when players record and spread data about players).

Also look what happens to the flop odds, with both raisers calling and blinds folding (both very likely in either case):
* as played: flop 10.5 SB minus rake
* if four bet: flop 13.5 SB minus rake
It becomes harder to give your opponents the wrong odds to draw after inflating the PF pot (straight out of HEPAP), which is not worth the extra 2 SB.

Therefore, mix up the 4 bet/cold call, with the table dynamics determining the ratio.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you always 3bet/4bet with AA (or KK, etc.) then opponents will know you do not have them when you call, which can be dangerous. At 3/6 there are enough thinking players at a given table that if you remain for an appreciable amount of time, you will need to be concerned with the information you provide (especially when players record and spread data about players).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an overemphasised area that I see all the time, and so I thought I comment on it. Even with PT, there are not very many "mix up your play" situations that happen often enough to worry about it online. Maybe if you play every single day with the same people, they'll pick up on these tendencies but for many traits you'd need 10s of thousands of hands against that opponent to notice a trait.

For instance, capping in the blinds with AA. You will get AA in the blinds about once every 500 hands. I don't have PT handy to check this out, but I'd conservatively guess that you get the chance to cap with your AA maybe once every 20 times that you have it. So you get the chance to cap AA in the blinds once every 10,000 hands or so. I don't think you have to worry about someone at 3/6 recognizing a pattern here.

[ QUOTE ]
It becomes harder to give your opponents the wrong odds to draw after inflating the PF pot (straight out of HEPAP), which is not worth the extra 2 SB.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's anywhere where HEPAP says that the inflated pot isn't worth 2 extra sbs. There can be an argument made for not capping in order to disguise your hand, but not capping in order to manipulate pot odds is clearly incorrect in this situation.