Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 07:36 PM

Default 10s: AK early standard push?

Party 10+1 Blinds at (10/15)
10 players left.

UTG+1 (HERO) Dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero Calls (15)
3folds
Guy A raises to (55)
Guy B calls (55)
Guy C calls (55)

Hero Pushes all in.

I dont know if its too early to risk my chips or not. Part of the push comes from the fact that I would be out of position after the flop.

Thxs for replies, Brian
Old 11-04-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: 10s: AK early standard push?

Why no initial raise? AK isn't exactly a hand I'm trying to LRR. I don't particularly MIND the push as there is a nice stack of chips already in the middle and I wouldn't mind taking them without a showdown, but I'm more concerned with the limp in the first place.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why no initial raise? AK isn't exactly a hand I'm trying to LRR. I don't particularly MIND the push as there is a nice stack of chips already in the middle and I wouldn't mind taking them without a showdown, but I'm more concerned with the limp in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, AK is not a LRR hand. In fact, AK is not a limp hand at all. You want to be driving out opponents with AK, in all rounds and at all buy-in levels, IMO. Fact of the matter is, the vast majority of early-round t$ made on AK is made on continuation bets and hitting one pair. Limping is a particularly egregious sin at the 11's, where if you let them, LOTS of people will limp LOTS of different hands. TPTK UTG+1 is not even that attractive a hand when you're facing 6 opponents, a variety of possibilities for flushes, straights, sets, and 2-paired hands.

Now, if other player's actions had been the same, but you'd been sitting perhaps in the SB...I wouldn't mind pushing at all. And again, just like kyro, I don't mind the push here. It's the limp that's a definite sin, IMO.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:19 PM

Maybe Ive been unfortunate in my short experiences, but Ive bled alot of chips raising early with AK. I only like to raise with AK in middle position to take the button.

I find that when I raise early, about 55-70, I get a bunch of callers and end up in bad position after the flop. Should I just be happy to get some callers and take the flop out of position with a strong hand? I dont think I can cont bet/bluff if I miss at the 10+1s.

Ive been alot more comfortable limping. Is it really THAT bad of a flaw in my game at low limits?

thxs for finding a leak, brian
Old 11-05-2005, 02:21 PM

Limping with AK is a huge mistake in my mind. If you miss the flop against 3-4 people then don't bet, it's as simple as that.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:30 PM

yea you dont want to put all that in the pot with the nut no pair....at that buyin you could expect some donk to call with mid pair limp or cold call....a raise to 250 would do the same trick