Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-17-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Line check - Live hand

Playing $6/$12 @ Bay101 last night when this hand came up.

Very loose table (5-6 to flop pretty much every hand) and we are playing 9 handed. Had been at the table for about 4 hrs with most everyone else the same. SB is sLAG and does not fold many premium hands even if it is obvious he is beat (he has been at the table for only about 2 orbits. The others are mostly LPP (not rocks though) except for the button who is TsPP. I have played many hands w/ SB and button prior to this session so my reads on them are pretty decent. My image seems to be TAG and one guy commented on how he could not believe I folded KJo from the SB when the TsPP (UTG at the time) raised.
anyway, here is the hand:

Dealt 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in Hijack
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, bravos1 limps, CO folds, button limps, <font color="red">SB raises</font>, BB calls, rest call.
Pot : 6BB (6 players)

Flop : 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] *suits may not be exact, but it was rainbowed
<font color="red">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="red">bravos_1 raises</font>, button folds, <font color="red">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls 2, MP2 calls 2, <font color="red">bravos1 caps</font>, SB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls
Pot : 14.5BB (4 players)

Once SB 3-bet, I basically put him on a big PP (JJ+). I fealt pretty confident in this read. The other 2 though, I really can't put them on a hand. Most likely 2 overcards, some kind of straight draw or a pair with something like A7 (did I mention they were loose). Since MP1 &amp; MP2 called 2 back to them, I basically knew they would call one more. I figured capping would be better than just smooth calling because I would get 2SBs from them now. The was no guarantee that either MP1 or MP2 would call a turn bet from SB anyways, so I decided to just pump it now. I also knew that if the turn came a J+, and it hit SB, he would lead out as he is that type of non-tricky player. So capping here gave me a better read in my opinion and bloats the pot when I know they will all be calling.

Turn : 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
checked to me, <font color="red">bravos1 bets</font>, SB calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls
pot : 17.5 BB (3 people)

River : not really important

Does anyone think I should of called the 3-bet on the flop and raise his lead on the turn? I feel I played it correctly, but am interested in opinions.

** Edit.. can't check raise with position.. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Line check - Live hand

well you're not going for a check raise - you have position.

at a live table he always has JJ-AA. the only thing that sucks is that if an A/K/7 falls and he has JJ/QQ he may check.

but that doesnt happen very often, so i say go ahead and let him bet so you can raise the field again.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:50 PM

Aren't you last to act on the turn?

I'm playing the hand the same way you did. If SB likes to pay off with worse hands, I think we're missing bets by not capping this on the flop.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well you're not going for a check raise - you have position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Editted my OP because obviously I'm an idiot.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
[ QUOTE ]

at a live table he always has JJ-AA. the only thing that sucks is that if an A/K/7 falls and he has JJ/QQ he may check.

but that doesnt happen very often, so i say go ahead and let him bet so you can raise the field again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you ever worry about his bet dropping MP1 and MP2 when you know you can get some $$ from them right now?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:14 PM

bravos -

if you think his turn bet will fold them if you just call the flop, then surely your turn bet after you cap the flop will fold them. so no, i don't worry too much about it. live players are usually really, really bad.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:16 PM

This looks standard to me.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:38 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm just seconding Miles here. It's hard to tell with your ninja editing and Miles' post now not making a lot of sense.

So:
I will generally call the flop with the intention of raising the turn. Let SB keep the initiative and trap all those juicy calling stations in the middle.

As Miles said, it just sucks when an A or K falls on the turn and everyone checks to you. But if you're lucky, one of the other muppets will bet his top pair when this happens anyway.