Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 08:41 PM

Default No challenge in religion

There's no fun in debunking religion, it's just so easy cause of the grossly disproportionaly large flaws in logic/reasoning.

Puzzling how there's still so many people here at this forum who believe/discuss the matter...

Why not make posts about other thing wich are more complex and debatable such as ethic/moral issues.

Only because lots of people believe in something doesnt make it worthy of a debate.. lots of people believe in santa claus, the easter bunny, goblins and fairies. Why are you guys still discussing angels/demons (religion) and not these other subjects :P
Old 11-19-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: No challenge in religion

Amen.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no fun in debunking religion, it's just so easy cause of the grossly disproportionaly large flaws in logic/reasoning.

Puzzling how there's still so many people here at this forum who believe/discuss the matter...

Why not make posts about other thing wich are more complex and debatable such as ethic/moral issues.

Only because lots of people believe in something doesnt make it worthy of a debate.. lots of people believe in santa claus, the easter bunny, goblins and fairies. Why are you guys still discussing angels/demons (religion) and not these other subjects :P

[/ QUOTE ]
For some its why supposedly rational people can believe something so irrational.

For me its mainly why some supposedly decent people believe in such an unpleasant god.

As for ethics, we've had some cracking threads.

chez
Old 11-19-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause ethics and moral issues stem from what religion points to.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:09 PM

If in the near future, a drug was invented that stimulated brain activity in animals, and a monkey could think equally to a human in every aspect, should they have rights the same as us? Should killing a cow (smart one) be considered murder? If so, would the death penalty be aplied? (is the death penalty even correct to apply in human->human murders?) What about artificial inteligente in robots, some day they may grow a conscience (plausable theory, and not so far off into the future as people might think).. what whould THEIR rights me?

more interesting questions than regligion
Old 11-19-2005, 09:30 PM

I just wrote out a whole response and lost it. Ugh that's frustrating. Damn poker screens.

Anyhoo, to sum up my point:

I took a class called "philosophy of animals" which addressed many issues you mentioned. It forced us to think about the ethical consideration animals deserve. I came to the following conclusions:

1) Animals are not totally in our moral sphere, because they are incapable of reciprocity, but

2) they are deserving of due consideration and should not be harmed, unless harming them fulfills a basic human need.

Some of the things we do to our fellow inhabitants on this planet are truly disturbing, and I wish more people would be exposed to some of these realities.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If in the near future, a drug was invented that stimulated brain activity in animals, and a monkey could think equally to a human in every aspect, should they have rights the same as us? Should killing a cow (smart one) be considered murder? If so, would the death penalty be aplied? (is the death penalty even correct to apply in human->human murders?) What about artificial inteligente in robots, some day they may grow a conscience (plausable theory, and not so far off into the future as people might think).. what whould THEIR rights me?

more interesting questions than regligion

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, interesting question, but not as intersting as the thing religion points to because the thing religion points to already contains everything. Anyways, what would their rights be? They would have to challenge our authority as humans at the top of tha mutha effin food chain before they got a say. Now if we are good humans and we appreciate all the goods the Universe supplies, we won't take more than we need. But we are scheming, deceptive, power hungry humans so we will not give anything rights that can't kick our ass. So what if a cow can talk, it can't kick my ass. That type of thinking will happen until humans realize that we're all made out of the same stuff and see that there is One, which all relates back to the thing religion points to anyways.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you enjoyed the smug pat on the back you just gave yourself.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you enjoyed the smug pat on the back you just gave yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the euphemisms you Catholic folk come up with for masturbation
Old 11-19-2005, 09:55 PM

For me, debunking religion is like a quixotic game...trying to force a logical paradox from the information my opponents provide.

I'll be honest, I'm not proud of the fact that I spend so much time on this forum attacking Christianity since there are many better things I could be doing...I guess...but meh. I enjoy debate, and it gives me something to do while playing poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]