Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 10:58 PM

Default overpair JJ facing heavy flop action

Stars $11, 1 rebuy, 1 addon. I took my rebuy immediately. Table has been pretty donkish, as a whole. BB in this hand has been playing a fair number of hands and firing pot sized bets on the flop pretty often, so I don't think this is representative of that much strength. MP (oldmanricky) made his main impression on me by raising UTG+1 with AJ for 4xBB and then calling a ~100BB push.

PokerStars Game #2645371343: Tournament #12672552, Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2005/09/23 - 21:22:04 (ET)
Table '12672552 101' Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Subby8000 (4640 in chips)
Seat 2: MtlBndr (3300 in chips)
Seat 3: gumpzilla (3240 in chips)
Seat 4: nanc73 (4935 in chips)
Seat 5: TrueJacks (4390 in chips)
Seat 6: Red Lion 70 (1080 in chips)
Seat 7: Jayshore (1875 in chips)
Seat 8: 2005XKR (11980 in chips)
Seat 9: oldmanricky (3390 in chips)
gumpzilla: posts small blind 50
nanc73: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to gumpzilla [Jd Jc]
TrueJacks: calls 100
Red Lion 70: folds
Jayshore: folds
2005XKR: folds
oldmanricky: calls 100
Subby8000: folds
MtlBndr: calls 100
gumpzilla: calls 50
nanc73: checks
*** FLOP *** [9s 4d Tc]
gumpzilla: checks
nanc73: bets 500
TrueJacks: folds
oldmanricky: raises 1000 to 1500
MtlBndr: folds
gumpzilla: ???
Old 09-23-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: overpair JJ facing heavy flop action

Why are you limping PF? (If you really can't play this hand at all for some reason, push and let oldman call)...anyway, beat him into the pot.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:10 PM

I was pretty unconvinced of my ability to thin the field to my liking by raising PF here and didn't really want to play a large pot against two opponents from the SB and be unhappy when the overcard came. If I had 40-50 BBs instead of 30 I might take this approach, it sort of goes with my whims at the moment. My plan was to get away cheaply if the action looked crazy and an overcard came, and check anticipating a nice bet from somebody else if JJ came as an overpair. Beating him into pot is a pretty fair description of what I did, but since most of my poker has been against other 2+2'ers or HU for the past few weeks I've turned into something of a lagmonster and consequently am making a lot of pretty borderline calls, so this post is just a bit of a sanity check.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:22 PM

Umm, so your argument basically is "I don't wanna raise b/c I know I'm gonna get sucked out on"? You should have raised PF to represent a good hand, and then cont. bet the flop, if you get raised play it from there.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:24 PM

You need to raise anyway, even if you don't thin the field. JJ is too good a hand. I would raise to atleast 500. If overcards flop, you may want to check and decide what to do based on the action. It is OK to raise and then fold on the flop. That's the standard way to play JJ in limit: raise preflop, fold after the flop.

If you don't want to play out of position, pushing is an alternative, but that kind of depends on the chance someone is trapping and the chance of getting a loose call.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, so your argument basically is "I don't wanna raise b/c I know I'm gonna get sucked out on"?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, my argument was that I don't want to play out of position after putting 1/6 of my stack in against what I guessed would likely be two opponents when a large chunk of possible flops (any K or A, and probably Qs) put me in an extremely awkward position. Having a pot of 1700 or so and having 2700 behind and acting from the SB in that situation doesn't appeal to me that much. If you make the stacks substantially deeper so that I'd have some more flop options, then I'd like raising more.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:40 PM

Pre-flop you have two choices: raise or raise more.

If you've been playing aggressively then push. Otherwise raise but make it more than a normal amount - something around 1,000. You've got to be willing to take more risks during the rebuy.

Personally, I can't see folding an overpair during the rebuy period in this tournament unless I'm playing against absolute rocks.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:41 PM

Perhaps I was unclear: each contestant gets one rebuy, and I've taken mine. I'm pretty sure the villain had taken his as well.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:39 AM

I would move allin. No one has to have JJ beaten for this type of action to take place.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:05 AM

Default results

I did move all in, BB folds, MP calls and shows QQ, my luckbox fails to kick in.

I didn't really doubt this move, but it occurred to me afterward that I didn't really have any conception of the range of MP and just figured that he could certainly make that move with AT. What kind of range do people put him on, and do people still think this is essentially an autocall if you haven't seen him make dubious plays already?